95 Force 70 tach installation

Sputs10

Cadet
Hello,

I am trying to install an aftermarket tachometer in my boat. Can anyone tell me how to hook it up to a 1995 Force 70? It is a Faria 7,000 RPM Tach if that helps any.

Thanks,

Bobby

Sputs10

Cadet
Re: 95 Force 70 tach installation

Forgot to mention... My Throttle Control Box has a small pigtail sticking out of the side, that I was told was for a Tachometer Harness, but I can't find any information on that either. So, I think that would be an easier option for me, but does anyone know how to acquire one or what the part number is? I'll take a picture of the connector tonight.

Thanks again,

Bobby

Sputs10

Cadet

Did a little more research... I think my Throttle Control Box is a Quicksilver Commander 2000. Any ideas what the part number for the tachometer harness is???

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Bobby

You will need an earth, positive and a signal wire to get the tacho working.

On the wiring diagram I have of your motor the signal wire is grey. It comes from the rectifier/ regulator on the outboard and travels to the forward control box. Have a look for an auxiliary loom with a plug on the end coming from the control box.

Any good ground (Usually Black) will do.

Find a positive wire that switches through the ignition so the power is only on when the key is in the on position. On my boat this wire is purple. If you have other gauges on the boat there will be a positive wire you could connect into. Eg. Volt meter or instrument lighting.

If you have an auxiliary harness all these wires will be in that loom.

Photo of the auxiliary harness and plug coming from the controls to the instruments. Showing positive wire - PURPLE, negative wire - BLACK and signal wire - GREY.
Loom Plug2.jpg

Photo of the rear of my tacho and wiring.
Tacho3.jpg

My motor is a 1998 75hp. I have the 2000 as well so wiring colours should be the same.

Not sure where you would pick up an instrument loom from. Wreckers or perhaps a Mercury dealer. It’s a common control box so thought it should be still available. I recently bought a new motor wiring loom and they were still avalible. Failing that you could get a water proof plug set and some wire and make one yourself.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Diag.jpg
    Diag.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 10

Sputs10

Cadet

Thank you very much! The pictures help tremendously! I'm going to look when I get home later and make sure mine matches yours. I would like to find an instrument loom, but need a part number. Can you tell me if the connector looks like a half moon?

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

The connector is in the top photo and part “d” in the wiring diagram. From memory the outside of the plug is circular but on the end of a foot long cable.

The auxiliary loom comes out of the control box on a wire that is about afoot long. I would think it is standard for this controller. You may find, with any luck, that it has been tucked out of the way behind the controller. On my control there are two thin control cables (throttle and gear shifter), the main wiring loom and an auxiliary loom coming out the controller just under the key and the safety cut off switch. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for there.

It’s about midnight hear in Australia and my boat is under a cover in the drive way. I can check the shape of the internal part of the connector tomorrow if this would help.