1989 force 120

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 force 125 hp.It was my dads boat and don't have many hours on it.turn the ignition switch on and nothing. I have replaced cables both circuit breakers and solenoid.and starter i don't have power to my trim either I checked the ignition switch and have no power to it!!!i did have a blown fuse i found under the dash i replaced it and it blew again thanks for any help here in clyde tx!!! I also bought 2 new bat!!

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 force 120

Welcome to the forum Kevin.

It can be very frustrating chasing electrical faults. Sounds like you have spent lots of time trying to sort the problem out.

Do you have a multimeter to do a few tests on the wiring? A Manual for the motor will also help.

There are some simple tests to try to isolate what is causing your problems.

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have manual coming i do have electric testers.the thing i just don't understand why i don't have a hot wire to the switch.wanted to ask someone if i could run a hot from the bat to the ignition switch to see if it works!!!!!and thanks for the welcome. yeah i am disabled in my legs and cant stand to long so i do what i can. then take a break. in my younger days I would still be out there lol this is a wonderful site!!!

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you should have a cct breaker mounted below the terminal strip in back of the starter, check that, there also might be an in line fuse at the battery, and make sure your throttle lever is in neutral,these engines have a neutral saftey switch, if not in neutral youll get nothing when turning the key

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks checked fuse on bat. its fine and replaced both circuit breakers one in the front and behind the starter. .i hope its nothing big but heck if i know!!! and i want to let every one know thanks for the help and you guys have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!!

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

You need a length of new/good wire to reach from the batt to the helm to make certain both hot AND ground circuits are complete. Also make certain the ground from batt to motor is good.
HTH,
Mike

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Did you when changing batteries leave a lead unhooked?Make sure that all fuses are good.
Test light,From the ground on the motor to the 1st lug on the solenoid.
Then do it backwards .That checks continuity of both hot and ground.
The neutral safet switch,Yellow@black trace.Test light.Ground to both sides of the switch when the key is turned to start.
RE-check all the connections.It sounds like something wasn't rehooked.J

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK I checked everything today. took out the key switch and boy it's a mess. he has like 2 wires taped together then connected to the switch. I don't think the guy that put in the switch in has got the wires right. is there any one who knows like on the switch i have a letter C,S,I,B,M,and M can someone tell me the color code for the switch think that's my problem. And i thank you guys for all the help trying to get me and my son on the water!!! also the wire that makes the switch hot keeps blowing the fuse. I UN hook the hot wire and fuse stays good as soon as i hook it back to the switch it blows!!!

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

I only have one wiring diagram in my manual for a 120hp force but there is no year attached to the diagram. Several motors use this colour code.

This is the colour code.

Looking from the back of the switch in a clockwise direction.

12 o?clock I ---- Red/ blue

2 o?clock M---- Blue or Blue/black

4 o?clock S ---- Yellow or Yellow/red

6 o?clock C ---- Green or yellow/black

8 o?clock B --- Red

10o?clock M --- White or Black/yellow

You could try jumping the heavy power IN terminal on the solenoid to the switch IN small terminal (yellow wire or yellow/red) on the solenoid. Use a screw driver or other piece of metal. This will have the same effect as if you turn the starter key. MAKE SURE BOAT IS NOT IN GEAR & THE IGNITION IS OFF. This would show that the solenoid & starter are getting power & working. This way you are working from both ends of the boat to find the problem.

Just a thought and please don?t take this the wrong way. Do you have the leads connected up to the battery the right way around?

What is the colour of the wire that is causing the problem?

Good Luck

Dean

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks for the help yeah he has it way messed up. as for the wiring on the switch he has like 2 wires going to each leg of the switch!!!!!I'm not going to take it the wrong way thank you for the help. and things to check!! Now for the guy that my dad paid to have the switch put in .i think the way the wires look he had been drinking lol just hope i can fig. this out love the boat but if i cant get this fixed ill throw my rude 115 on there iv had sense 1981 lol going to try everything i can to get the force going cause its very low hours and has had mantance done when due and did run great when running well going to get my coat and go see if i can get it going wish me luck lol im going to need it i think!!!!

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok went out this morning took the cover off. wired the switch and nothing!!!! So i went back to the motor and was looking at the solenoid the guy put on. well took a screw driver and touched to red and yellow bam sparks went flying and so did i'm. just glad my son put his video camera down lol!!!! as i was looking there was also a black ground wire on there with the yellow one!!!! i removed the groune wire and well went to the key switch and it cranked!!!! I hooked my muffs to it and let it run for about 60 secs well no water cumming out so I need water pump I guess next question is where do i get the water pump and are they Hard to put in!!!! i PUT ONE IN MY 25 HP RUDE EVERY 2 YEARS and THANKS Everyone for the great help as i was lost and i want it to be water ready when summer gets here!!!

There is a sticky on the water pump. It is VERY EASY!! You can either get an entire Kit with the housing or just the impeller. I just changed the entire housing and impeller recently and it took less then 30min. The time will not change replacing the whole thing or just the impeller as you have to take it apart anyway.

I don't know about your specific engine but many of the FORCE motors do not have a tell tale. There is also a sticky on that which is also very easy to install. I put on e on mine and it shows if water is flowing easily. Before I only had the two holes in the back of the engine that would sputter water out, these are not a tell tale. It is a great idea and a cheap insurance policy on the motor to replace the impeller at least but if you don't have a tell tale you cant really 100% know if yours is working.

Scott

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok put the tell tale on it .cranked it and after 20 sec i got water. and i was looking and found where mud daubers got in there and built a nest proly need to go ahead and put in water pump in. is there a way to flush the motor? if so thanks for all the help if it wasn't for you guys i would still be rubbing my head. lol hope you all have a happy new year!!!

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok took lower unit off and took water pump housing off and water pump is very hard. cleaned it all up good now. i called the local shop they have the water pump for 14.00 but no gasket he said they just use a sealent or gasket maker i dont know if this will work has anyone ever done this.please let me know going after the pump now thanks a million!!!!

I have used the gasket material before from the store for the water pump and for a thermostat replacement. Just cut it as needed and it worked great. On mine the gasket was under a metal plate that is located under the Water pump housing. I just used that as a template with no issues. By hard you mean the impeller was hard and not plyable? When you take the old impeller out follow the sticky note and dont loose the little half moon 'ish "key" as it is what causes the impeller to spin with the shaft.

Good luck and I hope it gets running great for you soon! Sounds like you are almost there.

Scott

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info ill get some gasket meterial in the morning and put it all back together sorry for all the questions. yes i was talking about the impeller that thig was hard as a rock glad i changed it!!! and again thanks for all the help hope to get on the water in a cpl of weeks!!!!

Thames_Outdoors

Seaman Apprentice

If they have a water pump kit it should come with the gasket, backplate,housing and impeller... I have a 1988 125 and just replaced the water pump kit and took about 1 1/2 hrs total being I had never done one before. ALSO make sure the water pump is for the model as well. I found out that for mine A, B and D models work together and C models are diff. and yep.. I have a C model.. go figure and that is for 1988 and 1989 force 125's.. Dealer wanted 84.00 for the kit and I got it online for 53.00.. Iboats does not have the kit for a C model motor..

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I got the water pump replaced. and the tell tale now she pumps water i did make my own gasket as i didnt want to wait 2 weeks to get it. im putting a link to my motor running and the telltale let me know what you all think and I want to thank every one of you guys for the help. couldnt havd done it with out you guys!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Kkz1IcfKo

Thames_Outdoors

Seaman Apprentice

Looks just like mine.. I added the telltale to mine as well. I just took it to the lake today and backed it in and mine looks just like yours as well... Good job...