ForceTilt Trim Valve Body troubleshooting

southbass

Cadet
I have a 1988 85 hp Force. The engine and tilt have worked flawlessly for 20 years. The boat has been sitting for the last two years with no attention given to it. I recently decided to see if I can take it out by the end of this year. During my initial checkup of the boat I found and did the following:
  • Trim motor did not work :eek:
  • I replaced motor
  • Connected lines - motor runs but no tilt or trim movement
  • Removed lines from VB and operated tilt switch
  • No fluid comes out of valve body
Does this mean the valve body is bad? Nothing even drips out of the valve body.

Thanks

RRitt

Captain
Re: ForceTilt Trim Valve Body troubleshooting

might not have any fluid in the reservoir.
armature may not be seated properly. Aftermarket motors (API more than others) do not always shim the armature end play. If you purchased an aftermarket motor then try taking the valve body off boat, Put the valve body and motor together (upside down) on your bench so that you can carefully seat armature. Then install as a whole unit.

if not one of the above then VB isn't working right.

southbass

Cadet

Thanks for direction. Fluid was at appropriate level. I replaced the motor and reservoir as a unit and had put fluid in it. It indeed is an API Unit. In reference to shimming the end play of the armature, I need clarification. Is that so the shaft will be long enough to properly fit in the seat in the valve body or is there a different reason?

RRitt

Captain

The end play is set at the factory and there isn't anything you can do about it without voiding warranty. You should have taken your prestolite to an atuomotive starter shop and asked them to rebuild it for you. The original Prestolite is still the best force trim motor money can buy.

Just take the valve body off the boat and carry it into your garage along with the motor. Work with them until your are 110% sure that the armature is seated. Do not ever separate them again. Have them securely bolted together when you begin the installation onto your boat. Some API also have a round nub on the end of their armature instead of a square cut full to end. The round nub armature has a real bad habit of grinding itself into a messed up mash if you do not seat valve body. Feel the end of the armature with your fingers for any burrs. You may have to grind your armatures back into shape with a dremel.

southbass

Cadet

I'm positive the valve body is seated properly. I test fitted it numerous times before putting the screws in to tighten the two pieces together. You can tell when the shaft seats. I guess that means the valve body is not working properly.

Are these rebuildable? I've seen comments both yes and no in the forums here. If they are, is a hydraulic shop the right way to go? If not the cheapest I've found is $253 :eek: for the VB. Is that the going rate?

I still have the original motor and reservoir. Maybe I'll rebuild the Prestolite and put the one I bought up for sale on ebay.

THANKS