1976 chrysler 6hp worth buying?

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone

I need some advice on a chrysler outboard.

Its a small 6hp unit thats got no spark. My use for it would be as a kicker for small lakes since i cant run my 85hp there.

Whats parts availability like? Are there any modern ignition solutions for these? I looked up the coils and at $130 each id probably pass.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
How much difference is there in the price of the Chrysler and other popular 6 hp or 7.5 hp brands in your neck of the woods?

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its about $2-300 cheaper than a similar omc or merc outboard.

It seems like everyone around me wants $300 minimum for any, even non running, name brand outboard. Its pretty ridiculous considering what it costs to maintain them.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Any engine that old (44 years now :facepalm:) is going to be problems. You say that Chrylsers are $200-$300 cheaper than other brands. Ever wondered why? Don't walk away from this engine, RUN away!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The problem? the points probably need cleaning?

The motor's old but it can probably last another 40 years.
Parts are still available.
The coils can be found cheaper than the 130$

Do a compression test.

The coil for a 96 6hp Yam is $70 the brain is $197

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Totally agree with Jerryjerry05 on this. Do a compression test before buying any used OB. If you don't own a compression tester, Autozone and other part houses have a tool loaner program. Clean up the point and it will run for another 40 years.

3rdtimesthecharm

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the 4hp version for free. Same problem,no spark. Shined the point to like chrome and it runs like a top now.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ive got a compression tester so thats not an issue.

The guy told me that he tried setting the points then gave up. And that the coils were open on the secondary side.

He seems to think its the wires that are the problem.

Anyone try out those little points eliminator kits on an outboard?

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
The 6 hp musuem piece that's been stored for 20 yrs?
without any use, abuse or having been dropped numerous times in or out of the water?

That one?

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anybody have a link to that post? I cant find it through searching.

Chevyls6

Petty Officer 1st Class
well i ended up not buying it since the guy didnt mention it was a 25" shaft. Seemed like a clean little motor.

Boat Fixit Guy

Recruit
Just for the sake of completeness, 60s and 70s Chrysler outboard will run forever as long as there is compression around. Most common reason for loss of spark in an old Chrysler is points, followed by Magnapower CDI, and in the larger ones, the good old car coil conversion works a treat.