'88 85hp power head base plate installation.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
The water tube rubber grommet finally arrived and I lifted the power head and installed the grommet.

I noticed something on the bottom of the adapter plate and wasnt sure what to do.

Ive included a picture. There is a deep groove cut out on the edge of the adapter plate and was wondering if I should completely fill it in with rtv or is there supposed to be water flowing through there? It appears on one end of the groove there is an opening that goes into the power head and likely into the water jacket.

I believe when I removed the power head the first time, that groove was filled with rtv but it could have just been squeezed into there during assembly at the factory.

Anyone know the purpose of this groove???

Thanks, Mark.

Attachments

• photo323211.gif
    photo323211.gif
    68.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo323212.jpg
    photo323212.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----If you do not know the purpose , I would not go about plugging it !------Perhaps it is a drain to allow water to escape and prevent freezing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Don't fill it, just silicone a thin line on bth sides of the groove.
How about a pic of the corresponding part?

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't fill it, just silicone a thin line on bth sides of the groove.
How about a pic of the corresponding part?

This is the bottom of the adapter plate which mates with the top surface of the leg. The only indication on the leg is that it is a bit wider in that area. Other than that it looks the same as the rest of the surface.

I'll just do as you said and put a thin bead on the edges in that area. Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited: