Link and sync procedure?

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
One last thing is the carb bowl cork gaskets and bowl bolt washers were leaking just a tad when i pressurized the system with the squeezie. Tested it while i was in there adjusting the linkages.

Dont know when that started. Perhaps i tightened them too much? I did the kit last year. Just noticed them leaking again.

Needles are sealing...so thats not a problem.

I ordered new kits again and maybe thatll seal it up.

Anything else one can do to prevent those carb gaskets/washers from leaking? Torque setting perhaps? I just got it good n tight....maybe i cranked on it a little bit much and caused it to leak? Those cork gaskets are pretty thin. But I inspected the top carb and it didnt look split so im not sure what happened.

Anyways thanks for all the help. I think ive got it set up right, just gotta wait for parts now. Luckily we dont get iced over here so itll be mid 50s by the time i get back out there...Ill update soon.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
One thing that can make the gaskets leak is too tight on the screw holding the bowl.
You can tighten to much and the area around the hole sinks in a little and then the bowl gets deformed,
letting it leak.
Or you didn't tighten it enough?
Or you didn't get all the old gasket out of the groove?

You say no ice there, where's there?
Maybe fill out the profile/signature?

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
I used a very light coating of Hylomar Blue to aid sealing.
It is unaffected by gasoline and stays put.
Don't use too much to keep any that you might fling around from getting into the jets.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
All i have on hand is aviation gasket sealer. I assume thatll work as well?

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
No there is a big difference as Hylomar Blue (there is a Permatex cross reference that I use).
The Hylomar never hardens and can be separated and parts replaced.
Many aviation sealers harden and make gaskets stick and hard to remove.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
One thing that can make the gaskets leak is too tight on the screw holding the bowl.

In regards to pressurizing the squeezie, is it possible to squeeze too much and override the sealing power of the needle and therefore cause it to leak? I may have been squeezing on the bulb too hard and causing it to leak because now that I think about it i did see fuel dripping from the throat (as well as from the bowl), but i assume the over squeezing shouldnt cause the bowl gasket to leak?

When i test it again after replacing all the seals how much should i be squeezing the bulb to see if its sealing or not?

Mow much pressure is the fuel pump putting on the system? I would rather find a leak in my garage while testing then be out on the lake and it leaks.

So how do i go about properly testing the system for leaks after i replace the gaskets. I normally just squeeze until its firm but when testing earlier i kept squeezing and may have caused fuel to bypass the needle, if thats possible.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks...

The Force power

Commander
In regards to pressurizing the squeezie, is it possible to squeeze too much and override the sealing power of the needle and therefore cause it to leak? I may have been squeezing on the bulb too hard and causing it to leak because now that I think about it i did see fuel dripping from the throat (as well as from the bowl), but i assume the over squeezing shouldnt cause the bowl gasket to leak?

When i test it again after replacing all the seals how much should i be squeezing the bulb to see if its sealing or not?

Mow much pressure is the fuel pump putting on the system? I would rather find a leak in my garage while testing then be out on the lake and it leaks.

So how do i go about properly testing the system for leaks after i replace the gaskets. I normally just squeeze until its firm but when testing earlier i kept squeezing and may have caused fuel to bypass the needle, if thats possible.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks...

I don't think by squeezing "too hard" you make the bowl leak but if the needle / float are not set right it would.
IF...there's such a thing as "squeezing too hard"

The fuel-pump puts out 2-3 psi if I remember correctly (if that not correct then someone will correct me)
Why would you keep squeezing after the primer is firm?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Squeezing the bulb too much does not make bowl gaskets leak.----Fuel in the bowl has atmospheric pressure on it and no more can be added. !

The Force power

Commander
I don't think by squeezing "too hard" you make the bowl leak but if the needle / float are not set right it would.

I should rephrase this; "by squeezing too hard (if there's such a thing ) if float not set right/needle not sealing; fuel will leak out of carb. regardless, but not from bowl.
if this makes any sense. lol

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright guys, thanks. Ill see what happens. May have a bad needle.

I have all floats exactly set to parallel so i doubt thats the problem.

I saw some drips falling off the bowl bolt initially when pumping,. After a few seconds the dripping appeared to stop so for the heck of it i gave it another light squeeze and sure enough it started leaking again.

It was very tough to see where it was dripping from when on the engine.I figured either the bowl gasket or the bolt washer but it could have been leaking from the air jet even. I know it leaks from those jets when i tilt the motor all the way up. It coulda been leaking from there when over squeezing but not too sure.

I will test each carb by hooking up the gas line and pressurizing to make sure its sealing before mounting.

Thanks again!