1995 40HP Force Carb questions

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The amount your turning the motor over is really nothing compared to the same time
you'd be running it..
It would take weeks maybe months of compression tests before any damage was done.
But if your worried? Since the carbs off, as you turn it over, a shot of WD in the reeds will lube
the cylinder and bearings.

Your motor turning over right?
Does it turn over good when the plugs are in?
Battery load test?
Clean the starter.

Rudy H

Cadet
Okay, good news today. Put carb back together with new gaskets and new smaller jet for elevation. On muffs, engine starts and runs well and no more wetness coming from front of carb while running so maybe the float was upside down prior to me taking it apart. Ran compression test again and had the same result with the pressure only going up slowly with lots of cranks. Returned loaner compression tester and bought a new one (it's just a cheap one but figured it would be enough to tell me if the gauge was wrong). Re-ran compression test and gauge jumped up immediately as it should so those who were questioning the compression gauge results were correct... should have listened sooner. Anyway, I think I'm ready to take it to the lake as soon as I get a nice weather day and see if it will now move up into high rpms and get up on plane.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Changing jets:
To test the results.
Get motor hot and run at full throttle for 3-4 min.
Don't throttle down, just turn the key off.
Then remove the plugs and check the condition of the burn.
White burn? change the jets back.

Rudy H

Cadet
Had nice weather and tested boat today. Success!!! Boat went up on plane fairly quickly and topped out at 24mph. Engine rpms at WOT were at the low end of the rpm range at 4650 so I might fine tune the prop choice by trading it for a slightly lower pitch but I'm not complaining. Very happy to have this boat in proper working condition now. Thanks for everyone's help/advice. I am planning to sell it and move up in size/power so that I have a better boat for waterskiing so really happy to have it working well so that I can sell it for reasonable money. Thanks again!

VivaLaMigra

Seaman Apprentice
Compression test with carb off is perflectly OK; in fact when doing a compression test you generally open throttle fully to allow maximum air to enter the crankcase and ultimately the cylinder. It certainly won't hurt the spark test, either.