Help! Point snapped Chrysler 20hp

Captainkf

Cadet
Hello all, new to the group and I’m hoping you can me out.

I recently was given (in trade for rescuing it from overgrown thorn bushes, trees and sinking ground) an older k&c thermoglass fiberglass runabout on a trailer that came with a 1967 Chrysler 20 hp outboard with controls and steering. Everything is rough, but possibly worth saving. However my new neighbors have given me another boat, trailer and a 50 hp 2 stroke Mercury. Only catch is I need to drive 3.5 hrs to pick it up. But it sounds in much better shape.

I’m already into trying to get the Chrysler 20 going because it’s always great to have a kicker.

Overall the exterior of the motor is rough having sat outside in a costal environment for a few years, but the compression feels good, engaged forward and reverse fine, has good spark on the bottom cylinder. I removed the flywheel and found the problem tonight. Sadly whomever last “serviced” the motor adjusted the points far too tight at 0.12 at tdc. This caused one “point” to crack and snap. I have read these are very difficult if not impossible to find. I have looked for cheap used motors nearby and found a 7.5 hp Chrysler but I don’t know if those will work or if they are any good. Also, no other parts can swap so it’s not worth it.

Im not sure what else might be wrong with this engine, so I’m reluctant to spend much on it, but my questions are this:

1. Long shot: can the points be fixed or bodged together even short term to see if the rest is worth it?

2. Will another manufacturer’s points work instead with a few changes to the mounting?

3. Any source for inexpensive points?

Thanks everyone, this is such a great resource.

Captainkf

Cadet
[No message]

Attachments

• photo303690.png
    photo303690.png
    880 KB · Views: 0
  • photo303691.png
    photo303691.png
    972.9 KB · Views: 0

Captainkf

Cadet
Or can I just adjust what is left to 0.20 and see if there is enough material to get a spark?

Captainkf

Cadet
Ok, so I realize that I was wrong in what I was measuring and that 0.12 was no the points. Please disregard. I realize that it is the arm that touches the crankshaft that has cracked rather than the points themselves.

So so I am going to see if I can adjust it to get it to grab and still accurately engage and gap the points.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You still need to replace the points as the cracked end won't allow you to
adjust them the way it should be done.

Try Franz Marine or Mastertechmarine .
Google antique outboard parts.