Head gasket replacement

Walker2

Seaman Apprentice
1979 115hp Chrysler. Is there no gasket between head and head cover? Do I use RTV?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Must use a head gasket when there was one factory installed. OEM gaskets are delivered with a 2 sided coat of glue that seals mating surfaces when engine heats up during first start. If with no glue coat apply a thin layer of say Mega Gray Silicone evenly with a small brush.

Don't foget to torque well with a torque wrench new head gaskets to factory specs and re torque latter after first 10-15 worked hours.

Somebody recommended using a aviation gasket sealer, would be great to know the name of this type of product.

Happy Boating

Nordin

Commander
No gasket sealant at head gasket.
There is a gasket between the head and the head cover, this gasket is no longer available.
Use RTV or make a gasket by your self out of gasket paper.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All aluminum heads warp.----So yours is warped.-----Resurface it and make it flat before installing.

Walker2

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Gentlemen. I pulled it apart today and found a new head gasket and pretty severely scratched cylendar walls. Looks like a rebuild for this one. I'll post some video shortly

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
All head gaskets have middle metal sealed rings stamped on them, if just sealing cylinder head with RTV or plain paper gasket the engine won't work well as factory delivered. Metal rings are there for a tech reason.

Happy Boating

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sea Rider.
He's not talking about the head gasket.
He's working on the cover for the heads cooling passages.
It's sealed with silicone.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
RTV is good, but I use Hylomar Blue since it seals and can be reused and easily separated.
A light coat on both sides and let it "dry" and assemble. disassemble, and reassemble, etc.
It is a great sealer because you won't tear up gaskets when you take them apart ans can reuse them several times.
Rolls Royce developed it for their jet engines and applies it to the parts at the factory and no other sealant necessary (spare parts).
I have reused head gaskets with Hylomar Blue as well and put a light coat on mating surfaces (following instructions) and I think it helps limit corrosion on the gasket as well.
It fills micro machining marks and voids.
But RTV will also work well as this is not a critical application IMHO