cylinder not working force 50 507y9b

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
so last season I had an intermittent issue with 1/2 power. this spring it worked fine then the issue returned. I had it running at home and pulled the lower plug wire off. no change. figuring it was a bad coil as I had changed thee top one out a few years ago I got another coil. worked great for a day and had issues again. worked fine then went to 1/2 power. everytime I re started it again worked fine then shortly after 1/2 power. I just checked the plug. the lower is getting bright blue spark but when its plugged in no change? looked at reed valves no obstructions?? im lost.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The trigger wires, they are very thin and can break under the shrinkwrap,
Try pulling on the wire and see if it comes loose?

Loosing spark on one can also be the stator or the pack.
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your ignition system.

Compression test?

catfishcarl99

thing is it has good spark. I pulled the plug wire yesterday and stuck in an old plug. spark is great. acts like its not getting gas into the cylinder maybe. the spark is good but when I plug it into the plug in motor which I bought just yesterday afternoon there is no change. but a couple days ago it was running fine. then it would drop the cylinder. I assumed spark was the issue but it doesn't seem to be.

catfishcarl99

i cooked this motor 10years ago or so and blew head gasket. I replaced it as it was burned between the cylinders. I just went out to re check torque on bolts. bottom 4 bolts were not real tight. I mean like almost a turn before they snugged up. think I might have been loosing compression. I got a 110 reading first time then 3 60s. tightened them down and it went to 80 but my battery is dying. im waiting on the charge.

catfishcarl99

so I got battery charged. got a 123 compression test. still not firing. the boot on plug has a small split. I see no visible arcing. but when I put a screwdriver up to it, it sparks to the screwdriver. I removed plug and held a lighter to plug hole after it ran on warm up, blew out a flame like a torch. so im getting fuel, compression, and spark. so if the new plug boot doesn't work im still lost. any other suggestions to look at?

catfishcarl99

for the sake of not giving up I put on a new spark plug boot today no change. so I pulled the plugs out and reversed them. ran fine for a bit then lost cylinder on bottom again. put an old plug in it and ran fine again. fouling plugs. I must have gotton a little to generous with my fuel oil mix. ugh.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the plug keeps fouling??
Then the fuel pump diaphragm might have a hole?

catfishcarl99

thatt I will have to check on. what I did do was clean the carb, the float pin had come out of one side and the needle wasn't shutting off. was getting gas drip front front of carb. that may have been the issue,

catfishcarl99

didn't see any holes in it. back side was dry. I did find a diaph kit with gaskets and o rings that's cheap enough under $20. prob something that wouldn't hurt to be done after all these years.

catfishcarl99

just cleaned the carb. still having misses and intermittent rough idling an wet lower plug. runs fine after I remove and wipe plug. diaphragm on fuel pump seems rather floppy and stretched. just ordered a new gasket diaphragm kit and ill go from there. thanks for throwing that out there. im good at fixing and figuring things out just sometimes need help at where to start. went today to test. launched and started fine. went to shift in forward no gear lol. replaced shift and drive shaft seal while replacing impeller. I screwed the shift shaft in all the way. came back home. removed the gear housing. took 3 turns back out. working in the barrel. now waiting on the diaphragm/gasket kit.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? you removed the shift rod to replace the seal???
You might have unhooked the shift lever in the drive?

Poor idle.
Air screws on the carbs.
Set at 1 1/8th turn out and then adjust from there while in the water and in gear, motor warm.

catfishcarl99

I backed the shift rod out three turns and took it out yesterday. shifted fine. fuel pump rebuild kit should be here by Friday. ill get it on and do another test. it will run ok until the plug begins to foul out. we pulled the kids for a while on the tube. fouled it twice but a quick wipe or swap we were good again for a bit.

catfishcarl99

got the pump kit today and installed it. running ok still seemed like the lower cylinder was getting to much fuel. looking through some videos today and took carb off. noticed the float was going slightly past level before shutting off fuel supply. I blew in fuel line while it was off and when it was upside down I couldn't blow air into it. so needle seat is sound. I bent the needle rest a tad until it sat dead level upside down. I noticed the other day when I pumped primer bulb it wasn't getting stiff. now I got fuel pump kit in and float adjusted im waiting on battery again to charge. im not sure the needle valve was completely shutting fuel off when bowl was full.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Any idea on the year/model/serial#? for the motor.

Get a magnifying glass.
The seat in the carb, inspect it for deterioration.
The needle might have a rubber tip? check for a groove on the rubber.

You might install a filter between the pump and carb.
Fram G-2 3 or 12
This catches the fine particles that can stick in the seat.

catfishcarl99

this is a 507y9b force 1989. yes it has the rubber tip. it looked good. now the starter is toasted so im waiting on a new end cap and brush set to be able to start it. the starter has been slow to get going for years. and yesterday it just would hardly rotate motor. lol heres what I pulled off. so im at a stand still now for a week. couldn't even run to test fuel pump rebuild very long. thought it was battery again.

Attachments

• photo298338.jpg
    photo298338.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0

catfishcarl99

ya bought it thurs off ebay, never order from landmarine toys. pathetic. finally after 2 requests to cancel after seeing their horrible feedback I got a refund today. ordered again from the people I got the fuel pump kit from. 5 days with no tracking or even a hey got your payment. ugh.

catfishcarl99

got the cap and brush kit today. thing sounds like a million dollars now. starter turns it over very rapidly now. best it has since I got in 04. now just got to get a new plug and go test it. put new gasket on transfer cover and entire fuel pump gasket kit with new diaphragm. put screw type hose clamps on all fuel lines and a new bulb that is pumping tight now since adjusting the float needle hanger.

Attachments

• photo298978.jpg
    photo298978.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo298979.jpg
    photo298979.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0

catfishcarl99

well no go. went about 5 -8 minutes at WOT and fouled the lower plug again. got to cove to swim with the kids. pulled out plug. wet, swapped with a spare. on the way back to ramp about 3 min of WOT fouled it again. so so far I put in new transfer cover gasket, diaphragm and gasket, fuel pump gasket, cleaned carb checked to make sure float rests level upside down. bulb pumps and gets tight. added all new hose clamps to fuel system (screw tight type). guessing a carb rebuild is my next stop??? I have had this boat 14 years and this just started last season. has really always ran great. I can say it starts excellent no with the starter rebuild. that's a plus.