1994 sport jet 90 intermittent spark

Bandit9676

Recruit
Hey all, I have read quite a bit on here about these boats and haven't found a situation that matches what is happening with mine. It's a 94 Dynasty Storm with a sport jet 90. My engine runs for about 5 seconds then dies, no spark, like I turned the key off. Wait 30 minutes, it will fire instantly and die after about 5 seconds. I've disconnected the yellow/black wire, the rectifier, and the governor, all with no change. The boat has a red stator in it, but I can't determine if it's been updated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Check for spark on each cylinder.
If you have a timing light you can clamp it on each spark plug wire in turn.
Keep a charged battery and short out the plugs to protect the coils and turn the engine with the starter.
Pull the plugs so the engine turns over easier.
If you disconnect the fuel you won't blow fuel and oil all over.
If you have a red stator you must have the hershey bar adapter to the switch box.
I had a problem with the trigger coil (#3) and had to replace the trigger.
Get a copy downloaded of the service manual.
I got rid of the switch box and coils by installing late model Mercury CDMs and a three cylinder wiring harness.
I have a good adapter and switchbox if you lived close enough to Navarre FL!
Something in the box might be breaking down if it takes 30 min to cool enough to start again.
Check all of the grounds and clean the connectors.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know of a Sport Jet forum, but there are some knowledgeable people on this and JetBoaters.net.
I got into the Sport Jet business with a Hobie Sport Jet Fisherman for it's shallow draft to fish in the Santa Rosa Sound at Navarre, FL.
I didn't see where you are located.
If it takes 30 minutes for it to recover after starting and it is not firing I would try a switchbox, but that is expensive.
Personally I swapped out all of the electronics to the late model Mercury CDM system and if you are careful on Ebay etc you can find a wiring harness and CDM modules for less than the new switchbox.
The Red Stator will work with the CDMs wothout the adapter module and makes the setup much simpler.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I's called the PWC forum.

Also outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your motor.