Mercury Quicksilver Control Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The throttle only button in my Quicksilver control started sticking in and the control just wasn't working as smooth as it should. So I decided to buy a new one. Maybe a new Mercury control or a Teleflex CH1751P Osprey. YIKES! $300! So I next decided to tear into the old one to see what was up. I found a link on this site to the internal parts of my control:
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...ng&inbr=1989&bnbr=40&bdesc=MODULAR+COMPONENTS
A little daunting with 50 numbered parts to say the least. But what the heck, it was already broke.:mad:
The only disassembly/assembly instructions I could find that fit my control were in one of the SELOC manuals I have (I have the Mercury motor repair manual also), but the SELOC manual had pretty good step-by-step instructions. This is the control:
ControlInBoat.JPG
This is a picture of it out laying on the floor of the boat. Here I am trying to find the access hole to loosen the nut that holds the shift cable. I tried several things, couldn't find it so I removed the throttle spring and got to the nut that way.
DirtyQuickSilverControl.JPG
I then disassembled the unit taking my time and several digital pictures. I tried to understand what each part did as I took it apart so I would have a better chance of getting it back together. I had a tough time getting several of the cover plate screws out and the three bearing plate screws so I drilled off the heads to disassemble the unit. Then I used a mototool to slot them and with a flat tip screw driver was able to get them out. After I completely disassembled the unit I cleaned off the grease with brake cleaner. There was way more grease than needed. Here is the reassembled unit:
CleanQuickSilverControl.JPG
Notice the old throttle only shaft sitting on the manual. The red plastic part had started to deteriorate and flake apart. Also the grease was drying out and caking in several spots. I ordered a new shaft assembly 817253A1 for $10. I did not need the $20 control repair kit. I used an acid brush cut to 1/4" dabbed in light grease to coat the contact points as I assembled the unit. The manual and pictures came in handy, since the reassembly was about a week after I took it apart. :D Also notice the access hole for the shift cable nut. I couldn't find it earlier because it was full of grease!
Here it is ready to go back in the boat:
ControlOnFloor.JPG
It works smooth as silk now and has nice crisp detents.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury Quicksilver Control Repair

Good job!! Saved yourself some bucks!

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! Tried it out today while I was Sea Foaming my motor. (Man a lot of soot/carbon came out.). Worked great! You get used to the way it was and when it's right it makes a world of difference.

cr2k

Captain

White grease work good as it is a light grease that doesn't dry out and cake yours did.

Control Boxes are way over looked when it comes to maintenance. A Box as yours was can send people looking to replace cables and all sorts of things. Glad you found the virtues of control box maintenance!

fmjnax

Chief Petty Officer

I know this thread is old, but this thread ended my 3 days of agony! After having to fix my "throttle only" mechanism, I had torn apart and rebuilt my control box a million different ways trying to get it back together and working correctly (stupid me didn't take any reference pictures when I tore it down the first time). I seriously had at least 24 solid working hours on the control box and was getting frustrated. The pictures on this thread got me back up and running in well under an hour.

Again, I know this thread is old, but I want to make sure I submit my "thank you" for this thread and to also make a place-holder so that I can search my posts and get back here easily in the event I ever need to. ;)

Tarpon1959

Recruit

I know this thread is old, but this thread ended my 3 days of agony! After having to fix my "throttle only" mechanism, I had torn apart and rebuilt my control box a million different ways trying to get it back together and working correctly (stupid me didn't take any reference pictures when I tore it down the first time). I seriously had at least 24 solid working hours on the control box and was getting frustrated. The pictures on this thread got me back up and running in well under an hour.

Again, I know this thread is old, but I want to make sure I submit my "thank you" for this thread and to also make a place-holder so that I can search my posts and get back here easily in the event I ever need to. ;)

Same here thanks..... My parts from sea ray Cincinnati just arrived. Will install in a couple of weeks. Also found a PDF shp manual for all QS controls. Should save some time

Recruit

Can you tell me where you found the PDF manual for the QS controls? I need it for the Merc outboard 1999, 125 hp. Thanks.

Eric

Same here thanks..... My parts from sea ray Cincinnati just arrived. Will install in a couple of weeks. Also found a PDF shp manual for all QS controls. Should save some time

Thomas1970

Recruit

Thanks for the links, all this info has been fantastic!!!
Are there any this to wary of when reinstalling the remote control??
Cheers from down under.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Even tho there has been a lot of good information posted here, this is an old thread. Please post your question in a new thread. You will get a much better response by doing so. Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Post number 8 has the link to the manual.

Please do not post to old topics which have been inactive for more than 3 months. Start new a topic if the topic you are reading doesn't have the answers you have.

Thanks

JCDison

Recruit
after replacing shift and throttle cables for 1998 Quicksilver Classic 3000 onto a 40hp 1998 Force engine the Shift cable seems to work but not properly and throttle cable is not working from throttle box to the engine, need help

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
after replacing shift and throttle cables for 1998 Quicksilver Classic 3000 onto a 40hp 1998 Force engine the Shift cable seems to work but not properly and throttle cable is not working from throttle box to the engine, need help

Read posts 10 and 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.