Force 85 HP tilt and trim upgrade

Raceyalater

Cadet
Hello All, I have an 89 Maxum with manual tilt and trim. I want to change it to Power T/T. Will my current transom mount work and just install the cylinders,pump, wiring? Or do I need to replace the entire assembly? Model number is 856A9G on the engine. Can someone tell me what I need to get?
Thanks

Raceyalater

Cadet
I have purchased a lot of the parts to do this conversion with the exception of the top cylinder pin and the 4 bolt pump. will the pump be a three wire or two? Also, I don't see a place to install a switch on the engine to rise and lower when installing the transom saver? thoughts?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
you should be able to use your current transom bracket.
Hopefully buying trim parts for your vintage of motor, not the later Mercury/Force system and transom bracket.

3 wire or two ?-- You should be able to use either, depending on the motor you buy, and the wiring harness - solenoids - relays you use.

I have used an aftermarket tilt switch to add a switch a motor mounted switch on an older outboard.. Just zip tie it to the wiring harness or the steering cable.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNWqHRWWM-NwMgQ6bfypiwdQL4X3KcLPRrpyY7ITTrPhTm21DaoA-3kmWUL6pGwgt2hIHn75l...png

Raceyalater

Cadet
Here is a pic of the harness I bought. I believe it is the correct one for the year. I will have to buy one of the switches for the trim as i do not have one. Do most boats come with the wiring already run and just not used?
Thanks
s-l1600.jpg