What does Throttle adjustment do on front side of Mercury Quicksilver Commander 2000

Royalwapiti

Cadet
I have a 1991 Mercury with what appears to be a Commander 2000 controller. It appears to work fine except in one area. I need to rev my Force 70HP a little before I am able to shift it in to gear and have it stay running. I can use the fast idle but was wondering what the adjustment knob is for at the front of the controller.

I thought maybe I could adjust my throttle rpm up a bit with that and not have to use the fast idle. But after turning in both directions it made no difference.

What is the knob for?

Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The knob is a friction adjustment for the throttle lever.

Why not adjust the idle speed on the motor? Has any work been done on the motor, like carb work?

Royalwapiti

Cadet
Huh, so that sets how hard it is to push forward or pull back. I messed with it but didn't know any difference in idle. I'll play some more and get it set for friction.

I have not touched the motor in 5 years. Other than needing a little extra revving when I start it, it runs great. Choke works too via pushing in the key. Fires right up. After running a bit it idles fine. I think just cold blooded.

Thanks