Helm Controller (STBD) loose -

ConchPirate

Seaman
Found the starboard helm control handle very loose this morning during system checks. I can hold it in towards the control unit at the bottom and it operates the throttle and fuel cables. But it doesnt stay in. Is this held in by a screw or clip that has gone bad? And how do I get to it to repair? Does the neutral button pop out or is it all done on the inside? And -- are there any diagrams that show this particular 2004 VP dual helm controller?

Video of issue here: https://youtu.be/GHGpUTTYe8s

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Like you I'm unable to find the control. Have found some controls but have been tied to a specific engine. Which ones do you have?

Also the ones I'm finding all have a screw which fastens it. Looking at your other handle, can you see anything like aplug which gets removed, or some how the black cover on the bottom comes off?

ConchPirate

Seaman
So found out it is a pretty simple fix. The rubber "button" just pops out and there is a white plastic large headed "pin" inside that sets in the bolt that keeps the handle tight. Because there was no room on the STBD handle to gunwale, I had to remove the four screws holding the helm unit to the deck, then tighten the loose nut after setting the handle on the splines in the proper position. Tightened the bolt (17mm socket for those that may need the info in the future) and replaced the plastic pin, rubber button, secured it back in position and put the cover on. Tested unit and all OK again.

Attachments

• photo333201.jpg
    photo333201.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo333202.jpg
    photo333202.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 0