How you i remove this VP shift controller?

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I posted this on another website, but didn't get any responses. Not many i/o people over there. I need to replace my shift cable and cant figure out how to get the thing apart.:

I'm having difficulty removing the shift control lever from the side panel. I can feel behind the controller that there are four bolts holding it to the panel, but cant figure out how to get front of the controller off so that I have access to the bolt heads. Can someone help me out? This is the controller I have. Sorry for the grainy picture.
screenshot_20200610_215503_drive_7aba89886a170d9639b224174d290fd55ed55644.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Usually 2 ways or steps to remove the handle;
  • First feel around the lower section of the handle for a cutout or hole If you feel one, look through the hole/cutout as the handle is moved looking for a set screw. Often the set screw isn't visible until the handle is fully forward. Loosen the set screw, don't remove it completely, and see if the handle pulls off.
  • If the above didn't work, gently pry the throttle only button off and there may be a nut to remove and the handle should pull off.
It's one of the two or possibly both steps to take the handle off. There will be some screws or small bolts to remove the cover.

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. It was a pry off rubber cap with locking bolt. Easy peasy. Just didn't want to start prying on anything and break the plastic parts off.