What lubricate to use on new steering cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What lubricate to use on new steering cable

I am installing a new telefex rack steering cable on by mercury outboard motor. I hear that it is better to use a heavy oil like gear oil in where the shaft rides in the tube. I understand that the grease will build up and cause problems with the cable and it is better to use heavy oil instead. Any advice on which to use?

Gear oil is too thin. MerCruiser makes a special lubricant for the steering rod. It is like toothpaste. That is the best.

However, most use marine grease. Just clean and reapply the grease every season in freshwater, and more often in saltwater.

Comment

I use Evinrude or Yamaha blue grease on mine in combination with a Steering guard nut.

Works very well. Once a year maintenance

Comment

I have some white lithium grease would that be ok to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson110 View Post
          I have some white lithium grease would that be ok to use?
          You need a good "marine" grease.

Lithium grease is not "sticky". Washes away way to too easy.

Better than nothing......

Comment

Thanks Got the Mercury 2-4-c marine grease that should do it !

Comment

It is much more important to clean and lubricate the steering rod on a regular basis, than the type of grease used.

Comment

The cable once it is in the motor , you have to turn to the far extreme to clean the rod. Is this what you mean by cleaning on regular basis? To take cable out of motor each time would be a big job.

Comment

Just turn the motor until the rod sticks out as far as possible. Wipe her clean (you may need a solvent), and regrease.

Comment

I tried a 3/4 steel wire brush got from grainger , used screw gun with cooper tube attached on went in a litttle bit 3 inch or so on each side to clean tube, I already used a 1/2 wire brush tube to lean the tube that went all the thru, The old steering tube did slide easy thru the tube was tight turning at the helm! Very tight working trying to clean the tube on outboard!!

Comment

I tried a 3/4 steel wire brush got from grainger , used screw gun with cooper tube attached on went in a litttle bit 3 inch or so on each side to clean tube, I already used a 1/2 wire brush tube to lean the tube that went all the thru, The old steering tube did slide easy thru the tube was tight turning at the helm! Very tight working trying to clean the tube on outboard!!
                      The issue as you've found out is that the long worn out seal on the output side of the steering tube allows moisture to get into the steering tube causing corrosion issues.

Once you get the tube cleaned out, you need to address the corrosion issue either by changing out the OE seal, if so equipped, or adding something similar to the Steering Guard I posted above.

I lived through that exercise once. That was enough.....installed Steering Guards on the last two boats. Never looked back.

Comment

Thanks Got the Mercury 2-4-c marine grease that should do it !
                        That's the grease that I would have suggested....has Teflon in it that should be helpful...

Comment

Got it all back together today you can turn the steering wheel with one finger works great!

Comment

Working...
                          X