OMC Sea Drive Tilt/Trim Issue

emoney

Commander
When I got this project boat the TT on the SeaDrive was locked up. Finally got the pressure relief screw open, lots of air came out, freed up the unit and started the bleed process. In the midst, the new switch I wired, I heard a couple clicks then nothing. As I’m typing this, I’m wondering if the battery could be the issue, even though there’s still enough juice to turn over the motor? What should I look for? I know there’s relays in that box on the transom, would it click before going bad after the trim motor was working?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Before tearing anything apart - Clean the power feed and ground to the trim motor and/or solenoids. At both ends, battery and trim motor.

And measure the voltage.

emoney

Commander
Thanks GA, that's great advice as I know that most of the wiring in the whole boat is starting to corrode due to age and weather. As an aside, I just found another Sea Drive unit that I'm picking up this evening that I know works as designed. So now I'll have an extra after using the one in the best shape, of course.

emoney

Commander
To update this thread, it was just a low voltage issue. I still haven't repaired this particular unit, as the motor is still working but the main tilt cylinder is stuck in place. My best guess at this point is that the seals went bad and water leaked in. When I opened the relief valve fully, I got some really nasty gunk that came out and as dark as used motor oil. Not to mention quite a bit of air. I now have clean ATF fluid and no air, but that didn't solve the issue, which lead me to above.

Now, having said that, my thought is to just replace the whole hydraulic mechanism with the replacement I picked up. At first I thought of just switching the whole bracket, but the manual seems to be pretty clear on how to remove the tilt/trim unit by itself and it's all together, basically, from the looks of it, 8 bolts total plus the wiring which seems pretty basic. I'll update the thread once I get it all fixed.

As a side note; anyone know how hard/easy it is to rebuild these things? I have the complete 2nd bracket but figured if the O-rings can still be found, since I know the motor works, why not give it a shot when I'm bored. That way, I'll still have a working backup since these Sea Drives are obsolete.