Steering and throttle cable placement question

Renken1600

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone,

very new to the boat world and wanted to check something with you. Both my throttle cables and steering are very stiff. I can attribute some to the massive outboard but my logic says the cables should be as straight as possible in its path with the least amount of kinks or curves. Maybe I’m wrong.

this is a renken 1600 with a 115 mercury. I’ve enclosed photos of the really long throttle cables and the curve I find suspect in the stern of the boat.

Red is throttle cable. Should throttle lines be cut-to-measure?

Top black line is teleflex line... it would seem more sense to me having the steering cables exiting from the lower hole as it would be a straight shot instead of that s curve? The 2nd photo shows that it actually bends sideways and then down... it just doesn't seem right to have that blunt of a kink... What do you think?

Why are there two holes anyway?
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​Thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo308056.jpg
    photo308056.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo308057.jpg
    photo308057.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1

wrench 3

Commander
Teleflex states that the minimum bend radius is eight inches and it doesn't look like you're close to that. However they do mention that the more bends there are the harder the steering.

Renken1600

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for answering my question. I suppose in the end it wouldn’t hurt to reroute the cables? Probably piece of mind for me...

any my idea about those long throttle cables? Are they supposed to loop up like that?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Throttle and shift cables need to be long enough for the motor to be turned fully to both sides. I don't think your cables are too long.

Some cables are looped with a 360 to contain them within the splashwell. You might try pulling some of them inside the feed hole.

Any idea how old the cables are? The insides wear and they become stiff to use.

wrench 3

Commander
The throttle cable has to flex when you steer. The larger loop stops the bends from getting too tight when you go hard to port.

Renken1600

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys! Couldn’t say how old they are... I just remember having to tap the throttle so it would stick in place... no real fluid motions.

nit to beat a dead horse but why are there two holes and what usually comes out of each in an outboard? I’ve decided to reroute the steering line.. if it comes out the bottom while, it will be inline with theoutboard as opposed to dipping down the way it is.

should harness and fuel lines stay where they are?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
There are 2 holes because 1 wasn't enough and 3 is too many. :smile: Stealing an old Audi line about 5 cylinder motors.

Really I think to be able to work with multiple brands of motors and sizes. That's more or less a guess.

Before rerouting the steering cable, look for some Zerk fittings to grease the swivel. Old grease tends to harden and gum things up. A few squirts of marine grease may ease the steering effort.