How to remove throttle from starboard side panel on Stingray 190RS

Eric4479

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I’m trying to remove the throttle handle assembly from the starboard side panel of a Stingray 190 RS. Can someone help with explain how it is done? I’m trying to remove the side panel to replace carpet.

alldodge

Staff member
I’m trying to remove the throttle handle assembly from the starboard side panel of a Stingray 190 RS. Can someone help with explain how it is done? I’m trying to remove the side panel to replace carpet.

It really depends on which control you have. Many, but not all, require moving the handle to full WOT, then the center button can be popped out. Once out you can remove the handle and get to the rest.

If its not that way, need to look up your control
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/remote-controls-and-components

Eric4479

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. I have the quicksilver 3000. I searched around some more and found a clip on another site that offered some help. It was not clear in what position the handle should be in but I think it was all the way forward. Then you pop out the middle cap and use a socket to remove the main nut. One guy said 14mm and the other said 11/16” or something like that. I’ll check you’re link to see if it’s more specific. Thanks again!

Eric4479

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So...I've been away from iBoats for a bit trying to find time to get my floor re-finished and new carpet installed along with the handful of other things that came up along the way. I'm finally getting around to reinstalling the port side panel with throttle handle and assembly. After re-assembling everything the throttle handle move forward but not to the reverse positions. And...when trying to once again remove the center plastic neutral button I broke it again! Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Here are some picts of what I took apart.

Attachments

• photo288845.jpg
    photo288845.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295956.jpg
    photo295956.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295957.jpg
    photo295957.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295958.jpg
    photo295958.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo295959.jpg
    photo295959.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The neutral button is removed when moving handle to full WOT position, then the button can be removed.

Otherwise I don't understand the problem

Eric4479

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I reinserted the button the handle would not go to the reverse position.

Eric4479

Petty Officer 3rd Class
the electrical cables or the control cables? I have not attempted to disassemble the housing or remove the control cables.

alldodge

Staff member
Control cables to see if that is what is causing the issue. Easiest would be to remove the cables at the carb and shift plate, just disconnect the end. If it moves without binding, then it may be the drive. If same issue, suggest removing the whole control and get into the mechanism to figure out the problem

Eric4479

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ouch! Thank you for the guidance. I had one other idea although I thought I tried it. I re-read an old post from Jerry on my "flooring" post and we must have been talking about the throttle for some reason. He told me to remove the plastic button I would have to put my throttle in full reverse. So, when I reinstalled the handle it only seemed to go on properly when in the neutral position but maybe I took it off while in full reverse. It did not seem possible to put it on in any other position but neutral but it will be an easy check before taking things apart.

alldodge

Staff member
That's an idea, let us know how it goes, would be nice to know for others

Eric4479

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got it (I think). I had my wife help by turning the prop as I moved the throttle through it's range to try to find neutral. I had to remove the handle (spline nut not in place) to reposition it to get the full range. When in forward, the prop will lock in the counter clockwise rotation and in clockwise when in reverse (it was 2 days ago so I think I'm remember the direction correctly). So, if it was locked in one direction then I moved the handle toward the other position until it was free in both directions--that should be neutral. Then I remove the handle and placed it in the neutral position on the spline. It took a bit of maneuvering but I think I finally found the correct neutral and then verified it by taking it out of neutral in each direction to make sure the prop rotation locked correctly in each direction. It seems to have worked. However, I don't want to fully test with motor running until I get the replacement center neutral button. It should arrive Wednesday. I also still have some cable tie screws to install, etc from my re-carpet job.

Lesson learned here is, if I ever have to remove the throttle handle again I need to take a photo of the position before I remove it!