Steering cable help

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Can some please tell me what kind of steering system this is It came off my 71' glastron v196 Its a little hard to turn the steering wheel right now It seems a little sticky at the motor end How can i free in up Also i see some steering systems that go through the tilt tube in the motor Can i do that with this one so i dont have to drill holes for the bracket in my new transom Also what are the hose clamps on there for?

Attachments

• photo280844.jpg
    photo280844.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo280845.jpg
    photo280845.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo280846.jpg
    photo280846.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's a rack steering system.

Now that it's off the boat, can you easily move the motor from side to side?

Does your motor have a tilt tube? If not and depending on the splashwell design, you may not need to drill into the transom. Got a pic of the transom and splashwell?

The hose clamps - No idea except some kind of PO jury rig.

GA_Boater

Found a pic of your splashwell and you can use one of these if the motor doesn't have a tilt tube.

splash_0_0.gif
http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...0679312--session_id.606567559--view_id.192770

Mount it in the circled hole.

glastronsw.PNG

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
The motor turns left to right with ease
When i turn the wheel the cable seems to move a little
Its binding at the piston end at the motor
Yes i have a tilt tube thats hollow what holds this in the tilt tube

Last edited:

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
What holds the other end from sliding out
And what would i need for an arm to connect to the motor

GA_Boater

Tilt tubes are a tube - Hollow for the steering cable to fit through.

GA_Boater

Clean the tilt tube with a round wire brush - Shotgun cleaning brushes are good for this.
Take off the coupler nut I marked on one of your pics. If you are reusing the cable in your pics, take the hose clamps off and the thing between them.
Grease the outside of the cable and insert it into the tube and install and tighten the coupler nut.
Connect the steering link arm to the end of the cable and motor.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Ok i got it now im going to try to get it all apart
Ivdont understand why they didnt install it through the tilt tube yo begin with seems better than drilling holes in the transom for yhe bracket

kenny nunez

Captain
You have a DET MAR steering system. Also to mount the cable through the tilt tube sometimes the engine has to be raised and pulled back for the cable to go into the tube.

Fed

Commander
That cable is not made to go through the tilt tube, Google Images ... boat steering cable & you will see the main 2 types, transom mount or tilt tube mount.

GA_Boater

Ahh dammit i was hoping it would fit

It will. The three ways mount the same outboard steering cable;

steercablemounts.PNG

You have remnants of a FUBARed transom mount, the rigged up hose clamp stuff, on the cable. Take that stuff off and the cable will fit because the motor end of steering cables are universal. The old motor, which I don't think came with the boat, used the transom mount. Your new motor uses the tilt tube, in fact all three ways mount through a tube.

Your old one looks like a Ride-Glide kit. Take the cable out of the tube.

rideglide.PNG

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Ok after i take the clamps off how do i take
The tube off so it will fit in the tilt tube

Fed

Commander
I don't think the nut with the red arrow is a coupling type GA, it looks like just a nut to me or do you mean the gizmo on the sheath?
It doesn't look robust enough.

GA_Boater

I'm saying loosen the nut and pull the cable out of the tube and when Dennis is finished the end of the cable will look like any other steering cable as pictured below.

I my earlier posts about the gismo may have been misleading. I was trying to explain what Mickey Mouse things a PO did to the steering, as in the hose clamps.

scableend.PNG