Ignition/Start Problem

eyefisher

Recruit
I have 1997 Glastron boat. Have recent issues with starting when turning the key. Some times will fire right up and no issue and other times get nothing when turning the key. Has done this both when first going out and when warmed up and on the lake. Each time has eventually turned over and fired. Good connection with battery. Want to be proactive and get fixed before I need a tow. Should I start with new ignition switch module where key goes into?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: to iboats eyefisher...

So it would seem that you can fix this pretty easy. If you have a meter and know how to use one, then this is going to be quick. If you don't have a meter and don't know how to use one, it could take a little longer. Let's assume you have a meter and understand how to use one. First thing to test is if you have voltage on the starter solenoid when you turn the key to the start position. It would help a lot if you had another person helping. You should have voltage on one of the small terminals on the starter solenoid with the key in the start position. The other small terminal goes to ground. It can also go to ground through a neutral safety switch as well depending on engine. So make sure you have the controls in the neutral position as well. That means the ignition switch is working properly if you read 12 volts on the small terminal of the starter solenoid, and the other terminal reads a good ground. If you do have voltage there and the starter isn't turning, then you have a bad starter solenoid... But let's do one more test before buying a starter. Take a jumper cable and go from the positive terminal on your battery to the starter terminal itself. Make absolute certain you have a very good ground from the battery that is both clean shiny metal on the engine and tight as well. When you touch the starter terminal with the jumper positive cable the starter should spin up and try to start the engine. If that works, you have a bad starter solenoid... If the starter doesn't spin up, replace the starter... Hope that helps a little...