wire splice two unequal size wires...

mforrest

Cadet
greetings,

i'm unclear about how to proceed. i have two pieces of 6 awg wire with lugs to attach/splice to my new minn kota trolling motor. i am extending the wire leads so i can put my heavy battery well forward in a 12' aluminum skiff. i do not know the best way to splice two unequal size wired together... the splice must be strong and corrosive resistant. i purchased two lengths of 6 awg wire with lugs and solder pellets and marine grade heat shrink. however i do not know the best way to solder/join the two unequal wires... the minn kota is approx 13 awg to the heavier 6 awg wire... see pictures attached

can anyone show me how to best accomplish this splice?

thanks for an excellent forum.

Attachments

• marinewire1-1.jpg
    marinewire1-1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 0
  • marinewire1-2.jpg
    marinewire1-2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are multiple ways to accomplish that connection. You can simply crimp on the individual wire end connectors and then bolt them together and apply a couple pieces of shrink tube. You could buy a piece of copper tubing that just does fit over the large gauge wire and crimp the wire on and then crimp the other smaller gauge wire into the opposite end of the copper tubing. You could solder that type connection as well. You could simply make a soldered lap joint with the smaller wire aside of the larger wire and soldered together and then a couple pieces of shrink tube. It really is up to you how you want to do it. If your soldering skills are good, other joints are available too. If you do crimp and solder the joint together, make sure you clean the connection of all soldering flux with alcohol and a little acid brush before applying the shrink tube(s)... JMHO!

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are still not confident about the splice, you could always install a terminal strip and connect them to the strip with ring terminals.