VHF radio question?

gss036

Commander
I seem to be transmitting ok but very poor reception. Is this an antenna problem or radio? what would be the fix?<br />I used my radio on Monday to call the Coast Guard to let them know I had lost main power and running on a kicker motor 13 miles out. I was about 100 north of Seattle and 50-60 miles from Victoria, B.C. Canada. Both stations heard my transmission and responded. I finally was able to give Seattle my cell phone number and when I talked with them I was told my transmission was strong and they had no trouble hearing me. My reception was weak and broken. Any help would be appreciated.<br />I did get home, 3 1/2 hours later. :rolleyes:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: VHF radio question?

Does the unit have external speakers? Maybe wires are corroded. Speaker could be bad as well.

bubbakat

Captain

ck all your connections to the ant. because I have had those things to transmit good and not receive good. You might want to think about upgrading your ant. system if that one has some age on it. Moisture in the coax is one of the worst enemies to a radio system

boater4life

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put a antenna/radio tester on it. It lets you check the performance of your radio. It measures the power coming from your radio and standing wave radio (the efficiency of your antenna system. It works great and only about $40.<br /><br />
20033206783378533421461.jpg

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

You didn't say if the radio is vhf or ssb. I am a ham radio operator, I don't think it's your antenna. If you were lucky enough to buy a higher quailty rig such as Icom or Yaesu their support and service is second to none. The swr meter doesn't measure radio performance, it measures how much reflected power is returning back to the rig. As to much rf is retured to the rig the transmit final WILL heat up and fail in a hurry. Most higher quaility rig will automatically cut output power so not to damage the finals. When you do buy a swr meter make sure the meter freq. and the rigs match. Example: vhf 157.000 most vhf swr go 144.00 to 174.999 that will work. You want the swr to read 1:2:1-1:5:1 Check your swr if you get a higher reading and you think that you may have water in your coax, change it, retake the reading. If it's still high retune the antenna to get the best swr. I think you may have lost your recieve side of your rig. Find your self a good ham radio shop they will help you will your problem

gss036

Commander

I have a VHF radio. The brand name is Ray Jefferson, Model 5000M. It was on the 1989 SeaCraft when I bought it new. Really haven't used it much.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

To start with 60 to 100 miles is about the limit of the VHF signal. Remember VHF is line of site and even if the Coast Guard antenna is up high you will still be over the horzion at 100 miles so beyon line of site.<br /><br />Often people do not open the squech up enough for long distance comm so the reciever seems to cut in and out. I do not know your model but many models have a Local/DX switch to cut reciever gain when in strong signal areas. Also if you have a 6 db gain antenna like most small boats use it need to be straight up, not leaning back like many people mount. 6 db gain antennas have a very low angle of radation and 9 db antennas are even worse. Another thing that can affect reception is if you have someone else near by transmiting or a strong signal it can cause reciever desense and reduce reciever gain.<br /><br />I do not think your rig is too bad as I would say many radios down here in California are set up in a way that they can not raise the Coast Guard at 35 miles. Your antenna is key to long distance, and there is a big difference in models. I really like the Shakespear 5225 models. Several friends I fish with offshore out of Bodega Bay had recieve problems. We would be side by side and they would here my radio and not be able to pick up signal. I am also a ham so have all the gear to check antenna SWR and while the antenna was less than 1.5 to 1 just had very poor recieve. I recommended the 5225 and next year when I saw him he could not stop talking about how big a difference it made.<br /><br />Nice to here of a skipper who has done his home work and has a Second motor on the boat and Called the Coast Guard to set up a watch but was able to get in on his own power. You should be PROUD. Job Well Done.

gss036

Commander

Thank you Boatist for your comments. I have checked out the radio and recieves all the weather stations clearly, so I guess it was as you said, line of sight, which I know I did not have so getting some help with a bounce of signals. <br />I also have a CB as back up and the cell phone which does ok inside the islands, might have to roam but there are signals out there.