Stiff Copper Wire

jeffmock

Seaman
A week or so ago I had to buy a new battery for my trolling motor and thought I would neaten up the battery well. I got all the wires hooked up and had a pair (+ & -)of wires left over. These were stiff copper cables (unlike the rest of the wiring) about the size of your computer mouse cable with rubber insulation. Everything in the boat works without them hooked up. My boat is a 1987 VIP with a 1987 125 hp Force. Are cables of this discription standard on VIPs, Forces, or any boats for some certain feature or charging or something that does not meet the eye? <br /><br />Thanks for your input on such an ambiguous question.

Walker

Captain
Re: Stiff Copper Wire

Do you have a bilge pump, livewell aeriator, how about your running lights.

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Moving to Electronics and Trolling Motors.

jeffmock

Seaman

Sorry, Mod.<br /><br />Yes and that is another question. All the electronics are running off the trolling battery because I was stuck and had to troll about 1.5 miles back to the ramp after dark after fishing for a couple of hours because of a dead battery. Is it OK to run only the big motor from the starting battery and everything else from the trolling battery? But, yes everything electric works which makes me wonder about these cables.<br /><br />Thanks

Ralph 123

Captain

Something isn't working or something was removed from the boat and the wires were left there... Can you trace the wires from that battery to the source? <br /><br />To prevent ever having a dead starting battery again, invest in buying a battery combiner such as the West Marine combiner. It allows your alternator to charge all your batteries but prevents them from all discharging.