Eagle dept finder/Hummingbird transducer ?

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lost transducer off of a Eagle depth finder .I have a transducer off a Hummingbird , cords are similar , spliced the cords together . Thought I'd try and see if it will work as don't have anything to lose . Does anyone know if this will work ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Eagle dept finder/Hummingbird transducer ?

Doubtful to damaging. TD wiring is not standardized. Wouldn't try it w/o schematics for both units. Good chance of damaging the head unit otherwise.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Fish Finders or Depth Locators (six of one, half dozen of other) use transducers to transmit their signal out and receive it back after a fraction of time. The transducers are mere antennas in that respect. Knowing how these units work, I can't see any reason for damage from swapping either types providing they are from similar transmitter frequencies, that meaning both around the same frequency bands for better operation. It will either work and give you what you want or not... Aftermarket companies makes replacement transducers for every type manufactures and the only real difference is the plug connectors for the most part...

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The real concern is are the two connectors wired with the same pin-out. If not, the whole thing could go up in smoke.
TerryMSU

Fish Finders or Depth Locators (six of one, half dozen of other) use transducers to transmit their signal out and receive it back after a fraction of time. The transducers are mere antennas in that respect. Knowing how these units work, I can't see any reason for damage from swapping either types providing they are from similar transmitter frequencies, that meaning both around the same frequency bands for better operation. It will either work and give you what you want or not... Aftermarket companies makes replacement transducers for every type manufactures and the only real difference is the plug connectors for the most part...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Fish Finders or Depth Locators (six of one, half dozen of other) use transducers to transmit their signal out and receive it back after a fraction of time. The transducers are mere antennas in that respect. Knowing how these units work, I can't see any reason for damage from swapping either types providing they are from similar transmitter frequencies, that meaning both around the same frequency bands for better operation. It will either work and give you what you want or not...
Hum.......ground the 500W output feeding the piezo to the temp sensor and see what happens to the power supply in the head unit. Connect the 5V pulse output from the speed sensor to the temp input on the head and see what happens.

Solid state electronics don't take kindly to shorting outputs to ground or hitting resistive inputs with voltage. ;)

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The real concern is are the two connectors wired with the same pin-out. If not, the whole thing could go up in smoke.
TerryMSU

Most every transducer I've ever seen (or head unit for that matter) only has two wires going from the head unit to the transducer. So exactly how swapping them could make any head unit go up in smoke... I'd love to know! We are not talking about positive and ground supply wires here, we are talking about swapping the transducers...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Hum.......ground the 500W output feeding the piezo to the temp sensor and see what happens to the power supply in the head unit. Connect the 5V pulse output from the speed sensor to the temp input on the head and see what happens.

Solid state electronics don't take kindly to shorting outputs to ground or hitting resistive inputs with voltage. ;)

I can easily think of many ways to make anything go up in smoke, but the original post talked about swapping a mere transducer and not an all inclusive temp senor, speed sensor or any other type sensor wired transducer. He/she was merely asking about a simple transducer swap. Now tell me how that can smoke any head unit...

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Already did my wiring , tested it in a plastic barrel of water , seems to work , need to test it on the water with motor running .Will post results.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went fishing yesterday . Depth finder worked , only thing had to add 2 ft to the reading .Observed no smoke .

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Went fishing yesterday . Depth finder worked , only thing had to add 2 ft to the reading .Observed no smoke .
I'm guessing the polarity is switched. How deep was the water?

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Different depths 3ft to 15ft. Water temp did not work.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Different depths 3ft to 15ft. Water temp did not work.
The readings are off by 66% and you call that working?:laugh:

The water temp didn't work because is a separate sensor. You need a wiring diagram of both transducers to determine how to properly wire the connector.

Piezo devices (i.e.transducers) are polarity sensitive. Try reversing the two wires on the transducer and see what happens.