Install 2 Batteries On a Maxum 1800 SR3 or Buy A Deep Cycle Marine Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maczilla23

Seaman Apprentice
Im looking at installing 2 batteries on my 2005 Maxum 1800 SR3 and was wondering if anyone has done this on this boat and how they did it? Where they mounted the other battery ETC.

I just put a 1200 Watt Amp with 4 speakers in the boat and plan on using the stereo system quite often and with the boat not running. Not sure if this was the best option so I dont end up with a dead battery or just packing around an extra? Maybe just one GOOD deep cycle marine battery? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Install 2 Batteries On a Maxum 1800 SR3 or Buy A Deep Cycle Marine Battery?

Without a doubt I would absolutely put a second battery on it. I would be running one starting battery, and a good deep cycle for the sound system why risk it with just one battery?

maczilla23

Seaman Apprentice

Without a doubt I would absolutely put a second battery on it. I would be running one starting battery, and a good deep cycle for the sound system why risk it with just one battery?

I hear that! Whats the procedure for running a second battery? Thanks for the advice!

oldjeep

Admiral

If your Maxum is laid out like my bayliner then your should be able to put the second battery on the other side. Mine has hatches for both a right and left side. As far as wiring you would put in an A/B switch and swap to the deep cycle when the motor is off. That being said - nobody likes the guy blaring his stereo on the lake since you can usually hear it at every house on shore.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Ditto on the two batteries, one for starting and a deep cycle for all accessories. Ditto as well on the loud system, sound travels much,much farther over water than over land.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

A better solution is to NOT use a A/B switch. They have a purpose, but there are also some big drawbacks to them. Do what is done in RV environments, use a battery isolator. Basically its a starter solenoid, when the engine is off the relays open up and the batteries are disconnected. Start the engine, and the batteries are automatically connected for charging.

The other option, which is what I'm currently doing, is a single deep cycle battery, but keep a jump pack on board in case you do flatten in. I know in my case I've got about an hour of decent volume, after that the voltage starts to drop so I usually shut the stereo down.

Lastly, ONLY put class D amps into a boat! They are more efficient and run cooler, especially when you are pushing them hard.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have two regular starting/deep cycle combo batteries... and I use a perko battery switch... One trip i use one battery all day, next trip the other.. I dont beach for hours at a time so i dont switch when on the water. and it keeps both of them charged and used.

oldjeep

Admiral

A better solution is to NOT use a A/B switch. They have a purpose, but there are also some big drawbacks to them. Do what is done in RV environments, use a battery isolator. Basically its a starter solenoid, when the engine is off the relays open up and the batteries are disconnected. Start the engine, and the batteries are automatically connected for charging.

The other option, which is what I'm currently doing, is a single deep cycle battery, but keep a jump pack on board in case you do flatten in. I know in my case I've got about an hour of decent volume, after that the voltage starts to drop so I usually shut the stereo down.

Lastly, ONLY put class D amps into a boat! They are more efficient and run cooler, especially when you are pushing them hard.

If you run a dual battery setup like you describe, you generally need to have a matched set of batteries unless you have a pretty sophisticated smart charger as part of the system.

Marsh85R

Recruit

One battery should be reserved for the engine ONLY. Most "deep cycle" marine batteries are dual purpose and fine for your use. I use a true deep cycle battery that cost over $400 for electric boats that wouldn't be good as a starting battery but one battery should be reserved for engine ONLY.

Marsh85R

Recruit

Prefer AGM batteries.

Last edited:

FourWinnsLC

Seaman

For my stereo system I ended up running two group 31 batteries in parallel, the one battery died in a relatively short time (Brand New) Needed two batteries.

Then I have another battery for starting the boat. And I actually carry a spare starting battery because I am a freak. and I had it laying around the garage, I figured why not. Four batteries over kill, just a little.

I utilize an 1/2 or A/B Switch

As far as sound traveling, it does travel farther but what I found is a boats "Acoustic Sweet Spot" is way different that of a car's. Because of the open floor plan of a boat. Assuming your out of the boat, on a sand bar or something similar. The sound is not really that loud out side the boat, but if you go inside the boat it makes your ears bleed. My suggestion would be to have exterior speakers pointing towards the "play ground" area.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just did a switch in my tahoe, i managed to put them beside each other

but the way i set them up was i start the boat with the starting battery and run for a bit then when we stop or i have a few min i will switch to #2 which is a true deep cycle which will still start my boat and the rest of the day it stays there so i am always keeping a good charge in both

also i have my amp for my sub and my constant wire for my deck hooked directly up to the 2nd batter just so i never have to worry about killing my starting one less to be concerned about so i always make it back to shore
and also i keep my trim hooked directly up to the 1st battery so i can turn the switch off but i am still able to trim up and down in my driveway without haveing to turn on the switch

Fun Times

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.