Installing BusBar with Perko Switch Help

Cali_fisher

Cadet
I have a Perko switch for my two batteries but I also have a minbus (busbar) that I need to connect. BLU2304
I am needing to know two things.
1) Where do I connect the busbar? I was thinking of using a pigtail from Perko switch #2 to busbar then on to Bat2 +
2) Do I need to ground the busbar in some way?

Please help me to do this the best way possible. Thanks for the feedback.

BLU-2304 Blue Sea Systems MiniBus 100 Ampere Common BusBars

Mini BusBar blu-11974-2.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing BusBar with Perko Switch Help

There is NO ground on a dual battery switch. There are as many ways to incorporate a dual battery switch as there are automobiles these days. But the standard (or preferred method) is as shown below. The bus bar would be connected to the COM terminal of the switch and all accessories connected to the bus bar. This setup provides optimum capability of the switch. Whichever switch position you select will be the battery that powers everything and will be charged when the engine is running. Had you used the "search" feature you would have found dozens of posts about this installation.

StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg

Cali_fisher

Cadet

Thanks for the help Silvertip, I searched and read dozens of posts about this but NONE OF THEM said anything about where to put the busbar. My issue is where the busbar goes and if I need to ground it.
So you are saying:
Pigtail off the com of the Perko switch?
Please see Pic and give me a thumbs up if it is right.
Thanks again
2BatWithPerko_Busbar2.jpg

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wellllll.....short answer is yes that is where you would pick up power from and no the bus bar would not be grounded. A bus bar is simply a way to reduce wire runs; you would use one heavy awg wire from the com terminal to the bus bar located close to you electronics. then you can run shorter lighter awg runs from the electronics to the bus bar. This reduces the power connections at the switch to just one (plus the engine) instead of several. So in theory you could have two seperate bus bars; one positive and one negative. Now the catch is that you usually use a fused block instead of a bus bar on the positive side; you can get away with using a bus bar if you run a seperate fuse to each device but its nice to have all the fuses in one spot. on the negative side a bus bar is perfect, no fuses required (or run all the negatives straight to the battery).

Confused yet?

In short yes com terminal for positive, generaly a fuse block (see 1009 in my diagram) is used for power distribution and a bus bar (see 1004 in my diagram) is used for ground distribution. See also 1008 for a combined fuse block/negative bus.

Note: The battery switch used in the attached diagrams is NOT a perko switch so wiring will be a little different. However the basic system is the same.

Attachments

• 1975STHY - 12VDC - 4.pdf
    259.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1975STHY - 12VDC - 5.pdf
    522 KB · Views: 3
  • 1975STHY - 12VDC - 1.pdf
    74.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1975STHY - 12VDC - 2.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1975STHY - 12VDC - 3.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 4

Bondo

Staff member

Confused yet?

Ayuh,......

I always thought a Buss bar is to tie all the Grounds together, 'n a Fuse box is used to distribute Power to the accessories...

In other words, ya got the wrong part for the job....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look at the Stickies at the top of the electrical forum and pay attention to the one titled Generic Wiring Diagram. It is a detailed diagram of how your boat should be wired. It doesn't show the dual battery switch but the feed to that system still comes from the COM terminal on the battery switch. You need to design the entire electrical system rather than just sticking bus bars in various places. I suspect you don't even need one but you do need a fuse panel as shown in the referenced diagram.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You NEVER put a Positive cable and a Negative on the same Buss Bar. That is called a direct short.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Basically, you need two buss bars. One positive, one negative.

StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg

Cali_fisher

Cadet

This is why I always ask here FIRST before I start any project. I would have screwed up serveral project if I did not look on iBoats first and ask questions.
Thanks so much for the help.

Cali_fisher

Cadet

Barbosam you are awesome! These are outstanding diagrams and very helpfull. Thanks so much for the help.

I guess I will be getting a Fuse Block rather than the inline fuses I have.

Thanks again