what kind of bolts to mount trolling motor on bass boat bow

snake91876

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a used trolling motor bow mount and wondering what the best types of bolts to use, do i need any rubber between motor and hull and also what is the best way to put it on the hull left or right side of hull.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: what kind of bolts to mount trolling motor on bass boat bow

Use stainless steel hardware. Rubber washers aren't necessary but they do provide a bit of noise insulation. As for right or left side, it really doesn't matter except if the head of the troller sticks over the side any amount. If it does, mount it on the side opposite you normally dock at. Don't want it snagging on a dock post either approaching or leaving the dock.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you don't have access to the underside of the mounting location, get the expanding rubber anchor bolts made for trolling motors.

Drill the hole, drop in the rubber anchor, screw in the machine screw, the rubber is compressed under the surface, securing the troller in place.

Click !

s7_016153_imageset_02

ok first fo all im still laughing my butt off at the statement( paddle faster i hear banjos) but the best advice is use stainless steel / no matter the type of mounting bolt make sure its stainless - i bought a 1992 bass boat recently which came with a trolling motor ( wrapped head to toe in electrical tape ) by the po and it barely functions - so we attempted to remove it and its mounting bracket - problem is the po used non stainless steel bolts that he probably got at home depot and the result is that the bolts are rust welded now and so corroded they just look like blobs- no wrench in the world will take them off -so ill probably have to hack saw them off at some point- the same was done by the po to the tow hooks on the transom so if you dont want big problems later take this advice from christmas future lol:cool: stainless steel!!!!!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

the isolator bolts are ok, but as you know they will eventually work themselves out. That hardware takes a lot of punishment on the bow. I used a piece of plywood & aluminum bar stock as backerplate. Get the biggest diameter hardward that will fit through the holes on the bracket. Yes, get stainless. and lockwashers.

oh yeah, and the rubber feet from the old isolator bolts. you really do need some rubber in there but it has to be the hardest rubber you can find.

take care not to block off that socket for the bow light riser.......

hey hornpipe, tell your family you want a "dremel" tool for father's day -- rusty bolts, no problem!

fishrdan

Admiral

The TM on my boat was installed with the rubber isolator bolts and it was impossible to remove the screws and get the TM mount back off the boat. Backing the screws out of the old rubber mounts stripped the nuts out of the rubber, and the nuts just freewheeled trying to remove the screws. I had to drill every one of the screw heads off to remove the mount. They might work nice to mount the TM, but it's going to be *ell to get it back off again if the nuts/screws are locked together

I made some 3/8" thick rubber washers out of a soft plastic plumbing coupler for mounting my TM, along with some SS screws, ny-lock nuts and washers.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Stainless hardware is usually readily available, but if not, bronze will work well also.

dremel hmmm sounds good - might work - thanks - but now to implement plan ( do the honey do list ) and do things like go to chick flicks without complaining and maybe some dress shopping -carrying her purse through the mall - hmmm that should do it lol!:D

zibzer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stainless steel.... dont even think about anything else

EDIT: also, search online for a PDF manual for the particular unit. sometimes they have tips for installation