MotorGuide 743 hard to control

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahorse1317

Recruit
It is a motorguide 743 single cable, foot contoled, 43 lb. 1996 model that came with the 17' allum. boat I bought.
Problem ; the only way to steer the trolling motor is to have both feet on the foot pedal, otherwise if it is off of center it will torque hard to the left or right and I have to struggle to steer it where I want it to go. Feels like there is not enough tension on the motor head/cable pedal set up. no parts bind, everything moves easy. thanks for your help, you have a great site... Greg

gman223

Cadet
Re: MotorGuide 743 hard to control

either the motor is slipping in the bracket mount, or the cable has broke loose inside the head

seahorse1317

Recruit

I took the cover apart and the cable is not broken, all parts look ok, mounting shaft if tight, feels like tension needs to be tightened up on cable or shaft.... does not have the drag it should have to operate it with just one foot. has anyone had a worn cable do this ?

gman223

Cadet

look at the shaft gear under the cover where it meets the cable there is an allen screw in the top of it make sure it is tight also

Mariner85

Recruit
I just bought a job boat with the same trolling motor, but have no clue how to turn the foot pedal on, or have no clue what the 3 selections with the red toggle switch are either.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I just bought a job boat with the same trolling motor, but have no clue how to turn the foot pedal on, or have no clue what the 3 selections with the red toggle switch are either.

Start your own thread. This one has been dead for nearly a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.