All new switches, Larson Senza

KC8ZTI

Cadet
We recently bought and started working on a Larson Senza, 89 I believe. I've been helping my Dad try to get it up and running, I've got a little better electrical/electronics background than he does, so I'm stuck finding solutions to our problems!

The switches in the boat are not only faded real bad, but some of them aren't working. Rather than replace one or two, we're going to replace them all. We've replaced the trim tab switches, but the others are puzzling me. There are no part numbers or anything other than colors next to pins. All but 1 are illuminated, and the non-illuminated switch is the only one I know for sure I'll wind up ordering the right one!

Can anyone clear up the marine switches? For example, the navigation lights switch is on-off-on, that I know. There is a ground on the top left, and a purple wire on the bottom left. They both appear to be grounded, however the switches I find online don't match up. I can find 2,3,4 or 6 pin switches, but the Navigation is a 5 pin. The illuminated switches all have the black ground and the purple, which appears to be a ground. My assumption is it's for the panel illumination? Anyhow does anyone have or can lead me to a good source of how to find switches for this thing? I've searched and searched with no luck. All appear to be SPST with the exception of one, a SPDT, but the 2 pins that appear to be grounds throw me off. One would be a ground, the other? Once again the wire's purple if it helps. Thanks!

Tim

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: All new switches, Larson Senza

Purple is usually ignition power - that would cause the switches to illuminate when you turn the key switch to the run position.

KC8ZTI

Cadet

That would make sense, for the illumination. The one thing that still puzzles me though, is the 5 pin thing. Everywhere I look I'm finding 2,3,4 and 6 pin switches. I know its SPDT with illumination, and we want to replace it with illuminated switches. All the switches are being replaced, we'd like matching switches. The question I still have is, how to find a switch? I've not found 5 pin switches, so the navigation lights switch has been difficult. The others I'm not sure. When you look switches up, and they show 2,3,4 or 6 pin switches, are they including the illumination pins? I'm assuming so. I've not found one site that shows the back of the switch or a schematic diagram for any switch. If I could that would have helped. Thanks for the reply.

Tim

KC8ZTI

Cadet

The wiring diagram doesn't really help much, as its switch specific information I'm looking for. I understand what everything does, and how it would be hooked up which is what that shows. The problem is for example the 5 pin switch for nav lights, I can't find a 5 pin switch. We're going to wind up making a trip to the marine store (won't mention the name), but I'd prefer to order them online and get it over with, even if it means paying a couple bucks more. I understand the 2 pins are for illumination, and the other 3 are for the lights, on-off-on, but I can't find a 5 pin switch.

Tim

KC8ZTI

Cadet

I/O WALDO: Larson referred us to the local Larson dealer, who said we need to come in. It's not really local, which is why I'm trying to find it online. The local dealer was less than helpful. I bet if we asked to buy a new boat they'd bend over backwards though!

Boatin Bob: That's great! It has part numbers on it too, which gives me something to look for. I was searching their site a couple times, but never found anything that helpful. In fact I was searching most of the sites for switch manufacturers, and never found anything that helpful. Thanks again! I might be able to find the information I need now.

Tim

KC8ZTI

Cadet

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I've found some switches that will work as far as the switches, however the # of pins are still different. I found one that "may" work, but found few people carrying it. That was a Carling Technologies LS series, LS1661-xx-BL-BL-012. I didn't see a pin layout for it.

This may help explain my issue. This will show on top what I've got on the boat, and the bottom is what I keep finding. You'll see that the top is 5 pins, and the bottom is only 4 pins. The purple, which MJ76 said is the ignition to cause the illumination would be eliminated. I can't believe this has been this difficult to find LOL Although it doesn't surprise me. Thanks again everyone.

switches.jpg

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

The one you show with the 5 appears to be a SPDT and has panel illumination (purple wire) and an internal lamp to indicate when the switch is turned on but I don't see any ground connection for either lamp circuit? Do your switches light up at night (key on) even if they are not turned on and then is there an indicator light when they are turned on?

KC8ZTI

Cadet

The pin that says SPDT illuminated on that first drawing, is a black wire and appears to be a ground on the switch's we have now. I don't know if the actual layout internally is the same, but that's the pin layout we have, compared to the pin layout's I'm finding. I'm not sure if they light up or not, some of them are broken and don't work, they're faded real bad and every time I've got it on, it is inside a garage that's lit up VERY well. But from what MJ76 said it would appear that the purple is from the key, most likely for illumination. I do remember seeing a very tiny wire connected to one of them purple wires, which are all connected on each switch, that went to a small bulb for the panel itself. So I'm sure that's how it is, but I just can't find a switch for it.

Tim

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It looks like the switches you found light up when the switch is turned on, but don't have the extra terminal for a separate panel illumination. They should still work fine. BTW, you could check the purple wires by testing for voltage when the key is on to confirm that's what the deal is. Your gauges probably light up the same way. If that's the case, and you aren't going to use the ignition power to light up the new switches, just be sure to disconnect them from the power source so you don't have a bunch of hot wires dangling under there.

KC8ZTI

Cadet

Yeah I haven't been able to get out to the parents house yet, it's in their garage right now. I discussed the options earlier with my Dad, and told him we need to check it. I was trying to find out if they lit up with the key, because I never paid attention to it. I don't think I've ever taken the boat out at night, usually him and I are both out at night but I let him navigate, he's more familiar with the area, he grew up here. I didn't want to mess anything up LOL Anyhow he wasn't sure, but I'm sure that's what it is. I'm 98% sure one of the panel lights, a grey wire, was tied to one of the purple wires. All the purple were tied together, and being mentioned here thats ignition I'm almost sure that's goign to be the case. This weekend when I get out there I'll find out for sure, but I'm sure we'll wind up buying switches this weekend that will work fine. It's becoming clear to me now.

That wire (purple wires) is grounded now, but when the key is turned on that should change from a ground it would seem. Since the panel light had a grey and a black wire, and I think the black was tied to a ground, it has to be a hot from the ignition. Makes perfect sense. Thanks! I'll find out this weekend for sure.

Tim

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are using a test lite with the clip conn.to a hot (12v)source then the purple wire with the key off will act like a ground.Purple IS ig.voltage.Grey hooked to it just causes the dash illum.lites to stay on whenever the key is on.

KC8ZTI

Cadet

Yeah, that's what I was saying in the previous post that I discussed with my Dad. I was almost sure that's the way it worked, but mentioned it to get it verified for sure. I may be out that way tonight and would be able to test it, but wouldn't have known until then, but everything points to the fact that it is the case. In which case the 4 pin switch would work, instead of the 5 pin switch that's in it now. I have some part numbers written down, some stuff printed off for when I go to the marine store this weekend. I do believe we'll wind up with them this weekend though. I appreciate everyone's help!

Tim

KC8ZTI

Cadet

Just wanted to post a follow-up to say that the purple wires were from the ignition, for illumination only. By eliminating those wires we've got the switches in and working with the illumination being a bit different, but still work. Kind of funny after we got them all in, we found another company who makes the same switch, and also found part numbers for the switches that were in it, though I think I had looked them up but had a difficult finding them anyhow. Such is life I guess, we like these switches MUCH better, sleeker, nicer looking.

Also wanted to say thank you for everyone who gave their input! The help is greatly appreciated!

Tim

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have the same problem, ugly sun-burned switches.
I've been looking at Carling V series and they look nice and will fit my dash needs I'm sure. They are kinda expensive and no one I found carries them on-line. What was the other brand's URL?

KC8ZTI

Cadet

We went with Cole Hersee. They do have a switch in that style too, and yes they're expensive. West Marine carries them, so we bought them there. They only had half of them, but they shipped the rest to our door free of charge for asking. We went with the standard rocker with illumination.

If you're set on Carling, check http://www.carlingtech.com/sales-locator/index.asp for dealers. There are many listed online, the one I nearly ordered from in that style was http://www.newark.com They've got those style and brand. You may check them out, I got that off the Carling Link I posted here by clicking on Michigan. Hope that helps!

Tim

wkolbe

Recruit
Larson 270 LXi Switch

Larson 270 LXi Switch

Can anyone help me find a Navigation Switch for my 2004 Larson 270LXI

I am amazed I can't find this part..

My dealer says Larson went bankrupt and is not shipping parts??

Any of this true