Fuel gauge wiring question

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
I am replacing the fuel gauge on my 1996 astro bass boat. The old gauge has 3 post on the back side and then the light. Post one has 1 red wire. Post two in the center has 4 black wires. Post three has 3 purple wires. The light has 2 blue wires.

The new gauge has 1 red positive, 1 blue negative, 1 black sensor, 1 yellow and 1 orange both light wires.

I can't figure out how to wire the new gauge. I also have replaced the sending unit. It only has two wires 1 black and 1white the wires from the boat are red and black.

Any help would be great.

alldodge

Staff member
The light 2 blue wires - one goes to ground and the other is hot when ignition is ON or there is a helm light switch. Connect the yellow and orange where the blue goes. If the light is a LED then there is a + and -, so once connected if it doesn't turn ON, swap the leads

The red goes to The Red goes to purple, This is ignition power

The Blue is ground

The Black would go to the Red sensor wire. Do verify that there is a Red wire on the tank sensor

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. There is a red and a black to the sending unit. The new sending unit has a black and white wire. I'm thinking black will be ground and white is positive.

alldodge

Staff member
Put a meter on the old wires before removing so you can see which is which.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The following are standard wire colors. Boats tend to follow these conventions.

Normally light blue is the light power wire. Black is ground. Since you have multiple of those colors, the gauge is being used to "daisy chain" the gauges together.

Purple is ign power to power the gauge itself. In your case it is the red wire, I would suspect.

The sender will have a ground and a sender wire. The sender is usually pink. Ground is black.