2000 Bayliner Capri - 5.0 Mercruiser 5.0 Mercarb - Electrical Issues

Garrett13

Cadet
I think If it does it again, ill just jump the switch for the time being. I might also try to run a ground between everything to the engine block so its all connected. I just hope its not a short. Iv checked all the connections and everything seems fine on them, and don't want to have to pull the electrical tape off of the the wiring harness.

Garrett13

Cadet
I took it out today, went great for about 45 mins till we stopped for dinner and went back out to it, did the correct starting and it started for a few seconds and then cut off and would not start after. I jumped the oil pressure switch thinking the fuel pump may have not been running, but I could hear it run just was still not getting gas to through the carbs. Should I pull the tubes out of the gas tank and check for blockage down there? Im just running out of options now to check especially with the carb being rebuilt and the lines being clear. Would it make sense to make my own partial wire harness together for just the fuel pump?

alldodge

Staff member
Remove the fuel line and antisiphon valve off the tank. Take a piece of wire or string trimmer line and push into the tank. Need to get 3 feet in the hole. If it get stuck then there may be a screen in the pick up.

For testing purposes, you can replace the antisiphon valve with a straight thru fitting

Garrett13

Cadet
Will do! The wiring harness is covered in electrical tape, should this worry me or did it come from the dealer like this?

alldodge

Staff member
Being a 2000 it would have thought it would be plastic with some tape. Just unable to say for sure

Garrett13

Cadet
Went through the valve and the screen in the tank and everything looked fine. I changed back to a different fuel pump and that one ran just fine and was pumping. The one before I could hear it run but just wasn't pumping any fuel.

alldodge

Staff member
If pump runs and it doesn't pump fuel then there is a air leak or restriction before the pump or the pump is bad

If pump does not run then its electrical

Garrett13

Cadet
The thing is I didn't change anything else but the actual pump, so that's where im confused at. Ill have to wait and buy a different fitting now though because the brass one started cross threading. I did find the weakest part in the electrical connection is the Clip for the fuel pump and harness.