Fused switch panel to breaker panel question

I have a 2003 Lund Alaskan (aluminum) side console. I recently bought a deep sea systems breaker switch panel that I was going to replace the stock fused panel with. I've looked up some wiring diagrams online that didn't really answer my question. Is this as easy as it looks? Plug and play? Just swap out the wiring and I'm good (they both have spade connections) or is there something I'm missing? Most of the diagrams include a busbar or a common ground, I've never seen this in my boat's existing wiring or is it not necessary because I have an aluminum boat? Thanks for all your help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, all ground wiring goes to a ground buss.

never ever ever use the boat as a ground. galvanic corrosion will dissolve your aluminum boat in weeks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a 2003 Lund Alaskan (aluminum) side console. I recently bought a deep sea systems breaker switch panel that I was going to replace the stock fused panel with. I've looked up some wiring diagrams online that didn't really answer my question. Is this as easy as it looks? Plug and play? Just swap out the wiring and I'm good (they both have spade connections) or is there something I'm missing? Most of the diagrams include a busbar or a common ground, I've never seen this in my boat's existing wiring or is it not necessary because I have an aluminum boat? Thanks for all your help!
Just swap out the terminals and you should be good.

A “bus bar” is simply a means to tie multiple ground connections to a common point. The functionality is typically integrated into the fuse panel in distribution circuits.

Bus bars proper, are typically located at the battery to facilitate the connection of (multiple) grounds from the distribution circuits to the negative battery terminal.

Most boats only use a couple of distribution circuits. They daisy chain the grounds at the helm then run a single ground wire directly to the battery, negating the need for a “ bus bar”