Killswitch

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I been trying to figure out how to wire my kill switch. There is two wires black with yellow stripe.i put a new throttle shifter in and it's a 3000 for a mercrusier. Not sure what wire goes where on the key switch. Original shifter did not have the lanyard key/ Killswitch. Thanks in advance. Hope I posted this in the right forum

alldodge

Staff member
Kill switch will break connection when activated. Take the purple wire from the ignition switch and place there

Wiring Helm.jpg

grizzreaper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Haven't been on for awhile and I am not sure on your answer. I have a straight black and a yellow/black wire. Is the black the ground and the yell/black connects the I on ignition. Or does yell/black I on ignition and the black to the 12volt on tach.

alldodge

Staff member
Without a kill switch the purple wire on the "I" terminal will go straight to the gauges and to the motor via pin 5 on the 10 pin connector.

If I understand correctly, your throttle handle has a Black and Yellow/Black coming from the kill switch. With switch in the RUN position, you should have continuity between the wires, and an open circuit with switch in the OFF

If this is correct, cut the purple wire coming from the ignition switch, then connect those wires to each of those wires from the kill switch. The wires in the diagram above are the ones going from the "I" terminal to handle and back to purple