89 bass tracker tourny v17 wiring up a new control panel...have a question

Eric Fife

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all!

I ordered a control panel from amazon that has 6 switches and a volt meter and 2 usb. Im installing it on an older bass tracker tourney v17 1989. The fuse panel is always hot and the switches are live regardless of the key switch position.

This is not what i want. I want the fuse block to only be powered when the key is in the on position. if i dont do this, the lights on the new control panel stay lit 24/7 or until i remove the battery terminal.

(red/light blue) is wire going to the fuse box for power.

does anyone know what color the wire is that is power on when the key is switched on? also where under the dash can i jump this wire to the fuse block?

thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What accessories are you switching with the new panel? Bear in mind the accessories may draw too much power for the ignition switch.

Any gauge should have power from the ignition switch.

Eric Fife

Seaman Apprentice
bilge pump, live well, stereo, nav lights, fish finder leaving 1 switch empty.

i just installed the new control panel. once i hook it up to the fuse block, the blue lights for the new panel stay lit no matter what as well as the built in volt meter/usb.

all accessories hooked up to the new switches are powered by a red wire already wired into the new control panel. all i have to do is hook up the load to the empty terminal on the switch. this isnt exactly ideal cause the leds/volt meter on the control panel will drain the battery while the boat is stored unless i key switch it or something.

im open to alternative ideas for wiring this. here is the panel i bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSV8PZ...olid=1A7CRIV93FUIX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
bilge pump, live well, stereo, nav lights, fish finder

Way too much load for the ignition switch, you'll burn it up.

Anyway, none of these should be hooked up to the ignition switch. To operate the bilge pump, live well, nav lights, etc. the key would have to be on.

all accessories hooked up to the new switches are powered by a red wire already wired into the new control panel.

How were these powered before using this panel? How are they fused? Did you just move the accessory wires from the fuse block to the new panel switch connectors?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Install a battery disconnect that can be turned off when you exit the boat.

The only thing connect to the ignition switch powered terminal on my boats, is the gauge lights.
And I run that through a separate switch, in case I want to turn off all the lights while night fishing.

Eric Fife

Seaman Apprentice
Way too much load for the ignition switch, you'll burn it up.

Anyway, none of these should be hooked up to the ignition switch. To operate the bilge pump, live well, nav lights, etc. the key would have to be on.

How were these powered before using this panel? How are they fused? Did you just move the accessory wires from the fuse block to the new panel switch connectors?

each switch had the load wire and a ground and a power wire coming from the fuse block. it does not look oem. i think someone got in there and re wired everything at some point.

laying in bed last night i think i figured out a way to remedy this. ill connect the power wire from the control panel to the ignition, remove the jumper wires used to power each switch for the load and replace it with the fused wires. if it works out the way i hope then the control panel lights only, will be switched on when i turn the key and each switch should stay live regardless of the key switch.

i wont be able to do it today cause the old lady wants to hit up the beach at panama city. ill update this thread with pics once i figure this out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You accomplish nothing by adding fuses. Current is still drawn through the ignition switch. Power the LIGHT circuit on the panel from the ignition if you like, but the main 12 volt feed comes directly from the battery with a 20 - 30 amp fuse or breaker within one foot of the positive battery terminal.