Mercury 90 HP OB 2 stroke on Whaler - No Power to Trim or Starter Solenoid

lojack

Cadet
Before first time 2019 launch, I verified all electrical systems were good, cleaned and tightened connections, made sure the battery was charged (output 12.75V), and started her up on the ear muffs. Lunched, went for a short ride, trimmed up and down and then docked the boat. Returned an hour later to go for a ride, turned the key and nothing. Trim would not work either. Verified battery voltage at battery and back to starter relay at 12.75Vs. Checked the 20 amp fuse, cleaned and tightened all connections to the starter and solenoid. No clicking at the solenoid and no power from the solenoid to the starter when the key is turned. I need to check the amp meter rating on the small wires at the solenoid, but it appears I'm not getting power to starter solenoid. 2 questions - 1) could it be the ignition switch? I looked at the trim schematics they also show a connection from the ignition switch to the trim that I assume fires the up/down trim relays. However, the trim should have constant power as you don't need to turn the key for it to work. 2) Is the trim powered through the ignition switch and could this be why neither the starter or the trim works. I've seen a similar post from a few years back, but there was no resolution. Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
What year is that motor? Normally PTT power is connected directly to the trim relays or solenoids, although some PTT systems use a circuit breaker on the main PTT power. Some systems also fuse the PTT solenoid/relay activation (primary coil) power. So what motor do you have?

I never saw a system where PTT power went thru the ign switch....

Did you check your grounds? Especially the main ground for clean and tightness?

lojack

Cadet
Its a 2000 engine. I did remove, clean and ensure all grounds were secure. While the high amp power drawn by the starter and trim doesn't go through the ignition switch, I did find a schematic showing the power that triggers the starter solenoid and the up/down trim relays coming through the ignition and flowing through the cannon plug to the relays. I'm going to test it with my meter this weekend. Maybe its the cannon plug? thanks!