Shocking !! Advice needed suzuki dt65 1990

I have a dt65 and recently noticed I get shocked when touching the HT leads. Coils and new leads would be my first thought.
However, when rebuilding the engine. I wasn't sure about how to earth the engine and also noticed my kill switch doesn't work. I earthed all the black wires to the head ( as far as I know )
when I baught the engine it came in bits, so I didn't know where everything went. Long process to figure it out. Engine runs fine apart from at WOT where it judders now and again. This is when I descovered the shocks while pull testing the plugs
My question is. Would a faulty control box (throttle control ) kill switch cause a bad earth which in turn would then cause me to get a shock from all 3 leads. Bad earth maybe at the controls. Or should I be looking in the CDI box (electrics)
I don't want to go and replace coils and leads if it could be as simple as a bad earth. Or replace them to have same issue. Just trying to eliminate everything first.
thanks in advance guys

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
If you're getting a shock from the HT leads, coils and everything else "upstream" is OK.

Either spray the leads with WD-40 and then test...if no shock, replace the HT leads.

For the kill switch, get yourself a proper wiring diagram/service manual.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes standing in a puddle of water when doing a drop test can do that.

Do the lights out test;

Turn the lights out or wait 'til dark, start the motor on muffs with the cowl off and watch for dancing lightning.

If you see a light show, new leads are in order.

Are you running at WOT on muffs?

thanks for getting back to me. No not running WOT on muffs. I will spray some WD40 and see what happens.
what happens if I spray with wd40 and still get shocked . What should I look at then ?

I have an Ohm meter and was going to test the primary and secondary resistance, but I can't find the ohm range that they are to be in. I found something online which makes no sense at all.

Does anyone know the Ohms that the secondary range should be to check leads ?

As far as I can see the primary range should be 0.87 - 1.17 resistance tested by putting ohm reader to both wires at coil.

Then to test the high tension lead connect one end of Ohm reader to the spark plug end of the HT boot and the other to the black/white wire. but I can't find the Ohm range for this part. can anyone help with that. I think i read it should be between 2980 - 4030.

is this procedure correct.

thanks again