Jon boat - Fused switch panel or separate fuse block?

Doyle

Recruit
I need to completely rewire a jon boat. For the experts, is there any benefit either way to using a switch panel with integrated fuses or using a switch panel with a separate fuse block?

Space wise (important on a jon boat), the integrated fused switch panel would seem to get the nod. However, all the fused switch panels I've seen don't have integrated LED lights so if I want that I may have to go with the separate fuse block. I know there are lighted switch panels with integrated breakers but I don't want to get into the expense of having to buy separate breakers for each amp need. I'd rather stick with simple fuses which are cheap to change out.

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
A fuse is a fuse and makes no difference so far as protection to the device. Its all down with what works best for you

fishrdan

Admiral
6 of one, half dozen of the other, pick your poison type of deal. On my jon boat I used a fused switch panel, and a ground buss bar. Easier to change fuses if needed, as a fuse panel would have been buried in a compartment. Buy a "good" switch/fuse panel as I had to replace the cheap one I bought at BassPro, switches failing after a couple of years. Panel that replaced it cost $40-50, but it's going on 6 years now without issue.

My other boat has a fuse block with integrated ground buss. Easy to wire, but a royal pain to change fuses since it's mounted up under the helm. I have to pull the helm seat post, then lay on the deck to see the panel and change fuses, which I had to do several times when my Qbeam was going on the fritz.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Have you thought about circuit breakers? That way you don't need to carry extra fuses with you. And if a CB pops, you merely reset it. And they make some really cheap circuit breakers and some really nice quality types. They also make circuit breaker switches. And you can buy the proper amperage breaker switch and solve both issues at once. JMHO