1997 bayliner Jazz, starter engages when mains power is turned on.

crabbycrabb

Cadet
Hokay! Thanks to Bondo for the tip on my ground problem, managed to take the boat for a shakedown run yesterday. It went great, no probs and took the wife and kids for a ride.

All was well until some weird stuff started happening, while stropping the boat to the trailer the bilge pump came on , which is fine as it has an auto float switch, i turned off the isolation switch before travelling the short drive home. When I got home, I started to get ready to flush the motor. I turned the isolation switch back on and whiskey tango foxtrot the starter motor fired up right away, with the key in the off position. I figured I could turn the key on and then use the isolation switch to activate the starter and then turn it back off again once the engine was running to get my flushing done. But now I need to solve this starter issue. Is it likely to be the key switch? Or do the solenoids have a habit of sticking? Hoping to solve this before the weekend. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Probably a stuck solenoid. Had this happen years ago to my Chrysler (the car). Parked in the street -- truck went by and by golly the starter engaged as I'm standing in the driveway with the keys in my hand. Weird stuff happens. It certainly could be a bad ignition switch but that can be confirmed by pulling the big red wire on the ignition switch and then turning on the battery switch. If the starter still engages, replace the solenoid. If not, then the ignition switch or related wiring is at fault.

wrench 3

Commander
If you take the small wire off of the solenoid and try it, that will eliminate wiring problems as well.

crabbycrabb

Cadet
I have to say, its been a long time since I have been on a forum that has genuinely knowledgeable helpful people helping out people like myself. Id like to say thanks guys for the help, again it was spot on. Ive never seen a solenoid stick like that!

I removed the trigger wire from the solenoid and the trigger earth and sure enough, solenoid still activates. I have also managed to find a replacement solenoid reasonably close to me and am just about to arrange to collect this weekend.

Hopefully thats my gremlins sorted for the Jazz and I can get on with the boating! not today though as the wind is howling, so I am about to fire up the kettle bbq and put a porkroast and some home grown corn in it! Thanks again!

wrench 3

Commander
Knowing that we helped makes it all worth while, and you're making me hungry.