Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine receiver replacement suggestions

Good morning,

I have a 25 year old tape deck in my Four Winns. I have some amazon gift cards and would like to replace it with a digital receiver. I'd like bluetooth and the ability to add an external remote.

I will also be adding a small amp and replacing the speakers as budgets allow.

Any suggestions?

My only advice is to purchase a marine receiver, or a receiver with a display that is readable in the sun. Dark characters on a white background. I bought an auto receiver years ago, and have regretted it since. It works fine, but I cannot see the display in the sun without a lot of trouble and putting a shadow over the display.

Also, pay attention to the power draw. If I crank mine up too high it will fade off, return and repeat. I suspect I have a power feed that won't provide the watts needed, and the receiver seems to be trying to adjust or protect itself.
    '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

I recently replaced the stereo in 1998 small cruiser with a Pioneer DEH-Xsomething... (no amp, but it could have one attached) - it has the more recent electronic goodies, including those you mentioned

Comment

I've been taken with the Rockford Fosgate PMX-2/3 series. From what I have seen they are a breeze to synch with bluetooth. The downside is that this particular units take a round cutout, not the standard single DIN that your current headunit more than likely is.

Only advice I can give based on what came in my current boat - avoid Jensen. Total pain to synch with bluetooth. Took me over a half hour with the instructions as the menus are buried in submenus...of submenus. It's going away....SOON!
        2017 Chaparral 19 H2O Ski & Fish w./4.3L 180HP Merc Alpha
        2005 Four Winns 200Le x/5.0L Volvo SX-M (270HP - FI) - ordered new, traded in on Chaparral
        1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS w/2000 Honda 115HP - ordered new, traded in on Four Winns
        1956 MFG 15' w/matching Evinrude Big Twin 30HP - presumed to be a sandbox somewhere

Tow Vehicle:
        2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Comment

Working...
        X