Mercruiser 3.0lx fuse ?

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wiring up a new starter . Original had 3 posts. New one has 4 (two for yellow) When connecting the battery
after install I heard a quick electrical pop. Now no power to anything. Checked all the fuses and all ok. The circuit breaker is not pushed out to reset either.
I'm obviously missing a blown fuse somewhere or the 50 amp re-set is toast? Found the glass fuse as well (next to the power steering reservoir) and that fine too.
Any input welcome!

Fun Times

Staff member
What year is the boat? 1996 / 97?

If so then you should have a 55 AMP fuse mounted on the starter stud where the battery cable connects to....Should look like item number 18, https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/.../30920/2330/40.... 88-79023T56

Have a link or part number to the starter you bought? 2 yellows sounds different to me at least.

Also there's usually a fuse coming right off the back side area of the key switch which is usually a red type wire that may have blown....Be sure to press the circuit breaker really hard as it does take some effort to reset if it's really tripped but not noticeable.

Last edited:

fishinrado

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well found the issue. Went through and checked all the fuses with a multi-meter for continuity.
Found a bad fuse that "Looked" good. Starts right up! What a difference with a new starter...........
happy boating!