Guages

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, I got my instrument panel off/out last night. Obviously some need to be replaced - I doubt my garage floor is spinning at 1100 rpm, nor is its oil pressure pegged.... lol

But - how ugly are these gauges? Seriously!?! The designer must have had a serious infatuation with Tron. Anyhoo - They will all be replaced. Acually, the entire panel is being redone. The only thing that will be the same is where the hole for the steering is.

What *cost friendly* gauges does everyone prefer?

(edited to remove stupid question)

Attachments

• IMG_7782.JPG
    IMG_7782.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7783.JPG
    IMG_7783.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7784.JPG
    IMG_7784.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been eyeballing those. We are taking the interior to a cream and blue or cream and brown - doing away with the black on everything. I've been looking at the Sahara line, I think it will look sharp with our plan.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im looking at the white premier myself. just not certain on pitot vs GPS speedo.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been playing with adobe sketch and have a rough estimate of what I am thinking. Obviously I am not an artist, but its an idea..

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0

briangcc

Commander
Since you're modernizing can I make a couple suggestions? First, ditch the fuses altogether in favor of circuit breakers. No more need to carry spare fuses, just reset the breaker if it trips after confirming there isn't a larger issue at hand. Next, how about a carbon fiber vinyl wrap instead of the wood grain? Can get it in many colors off evilbay.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a friend that does vinyl signs and graphics, and that may be the way I go. There are several places on the boat where there are wood accent pieces already, and since we are going with a cream/sand color for the interior, we thought we'd look at a wood dash. I love woodworking, so its not a big deal at all to play with it and if we don't like it, change it again.

I was thinking about the breakers instead of fuses, I just have to read up more to know what I am doing either way. I just know that it will not have those twist open glass cartridge fuses right there on the dash any more.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since you're modernizing can I make a couple suggestions? First, ditch the fuses altogether in favor of circuit breakers. .

Thanks again for this! I read and read and read about the electrical systems and based on your suggestion, I'm going to go with circuit breakers. At the rate I am getting things done on this boat, I'll be in a position to start actually doing it in about 14 or 15 years. lol

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you go circuit breakers, the reset button should be easily reachable so why not right next to the switch that controls that circuit. If you use auto-reset types it doesn't matter where they are but again -- it becomes a troubleshooting issue if stuffed under the helm.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you go circuit breakers, the reset button should be easily reachable so why not right next to the switch that controls that circuit. If you use auto-reset types it doesn't matter where they are but again -- it becomes a troubleshooting issue if stuffed under the helm.

Gotcha. I can place it next to the new toggles. I put 4 toggles to the right of the steering on my sad little sample/idea, but it's really 3 and a button for the horn. I can put the reset on the end closest to the steering, then my 3 toggles, then the horn button. The symmetry will keep it feng shui. :lol:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I may be missing it, but think you are not understanding the circuit breaker situation. You don't have just one. You have four. Each switch, horn button, accessory outlet, etc., requires a circuit breaker for the circuit is intended to protect. Then there should be one MASTER breaker located within one foot of the battery positive lead feeding the helm. A push button reset breaker looks like any other push button but you locate each one right next to the switch. This makes troubleshooting very easy and in an emergency, time may save you life or at least from getting wet. Consider having to search for fuses for your bilge pump. Using breakers you also eliminate use of a fuse panel and fuses and you can quickly determine whether the breaker opening was a fluke or if there is indeed a problem..