Ignition switch, kill switch, or something else

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi,

when i flip the kill switch none of the gauges turn on, and when I have the kill switch and key in the on position they still don’t turn on. The boat has zero electric. No bilge pump, no lights, radio, won’t crank, nothing. I was out on the boat and docked it, then tried starting it 10 minutes later and had zero electric. The battery has 12.4v. What could be the reason for this?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What kind of engine? What boat?

Sounds like a fuse or breaker depending on what engine....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
kill switch is between ignition switch and motor (wont affect gauges)

use a multi-meter and start tracing power.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My gauges on this boats turn on when I flip the cut off switch to the on position. I don’t believe you need the ignition or cut off switch

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Correction, my gauges turn on when it is functioning correctly, not right now. Thanks jbuote, I’ll try that

Scott Danforth

Staff member
My gauges on this boats turn on when I flip the cut off switch to the on position. I don’t believe you need the ignition or cut off switch

then someone bastardized your boat

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe it, my marina owners have tried sabotaging my boat before to let them do repairs on it

Scott Danforth

Staff member
again, take a multi-meter and trace the power. start at the starter connection, work your way up the wiring harness to the key switch. you will find the issue. most likely its a corroded connection in the harness or the circuit breaker is tripped.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the help, it was the little white fuse box coming off of the starter