4.3MPI Mercruiser engine

PDXMEdiA

Recruit
I have a 95 Chaparral Signature 32' cruiser. Two brand new Merc 4.3MPI engines were installed in 2014 with only 140 hours on them.

I had the shore power off for several weeks and I think the fridge drained the batteries. When I went to start, the Port engine clicked a few times but didn't start. The green alarm did turn on though.

When I went to start the Starboard engine, there was nothing. No green light alarm, nothing.

I charged the batteries for awhile and the Port side started, still nothing from the Starboard.

As a test, I reversed the starter wires and the Port side would start with the Starboard key. The Starboard key still had nothing on the Port side key. That made we realize that portion was good and something at the engine.

I know there has to be a fuse or something somewhere that went bad but can't find anything. I don't have a manual for the engines so I am looking for help. What can I do to trouble shoot?

I'm not a mechanic so not much technical expertise.

The photo is the Starboard engine and the key ignition.

Thanks.... Phil

Attachments

• photo294692.jpg
    photo294692.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo294693.jpg
    photo294693.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I have a 95 Chaparral Signature 32' cruiser. Two brand new Merc 4.3MPI engines were installed in 2014 with only 140 hours on them.

I had the shore power off for several weeks and I think the fridge drained the batteries.

I charged the batteries for awhile and the Port side started, still nothing from the Starboard.

Thanks.... Phil

Yes, the fridge drained the batteries and possibly ruined both of them. Charging the batteries for "awhile" tells you nothing. One might have come back enough to start an engine... once.

Assuming your batteries are flooded lead/acid (not AGM or Gel Cell), pull the caps off both batteries (if they have caps) and make sure there's distilled water in both of them up to the bottom of each sight tube. Charge them completely, then take them to be load tested (or buy/borrow a load tester yourself). My guess is that both batteries are toast and won't take or hold a charge. A fridge will run down a pair of batteries to "dead" in 24 hours. Keep trying to draw current from them and they get ruined.

When your boat is docked you should be running accessories off shore power, or not at all.

My .02

PDXMEdiA

Recruit
Thanks John--

I have 4 batteries, both switchable to 1, 2 or both. Port engine starts in any position, either switch. Starboard doesn't.

Still a battery issue?

thanks... Phil

Attachments

• photo294711.jpg
    photo294711.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo294712.jpg
    photo294712.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Neighbor had a meter reader. 13+ on all 4 batteries. Boat is in the water.

Unless the battery charger is running at the time this will not happen, ............. (that is unless your meter is defective)

Fun Times

Staff member
See if you have 12v power right off the back of both alternators which would be the big post usually an orange power wire but in your case it may be red.....Also try finding and pushing the should possibly be red 50 Amp circuit breaker on top of the engine possibly under the top cover area and check for 12 volt power there too on both ends.

13 volts would be to high of a reading if the engine/s are not running at testing time or as AllDodge mentioned the battery charger is charging giving you a false power read not telling you the whole story of the batteries overall condition.