Horn goes beep boat goes dead.

DockDog

Recruit
Hello,

My son and I have been working on fixing up our boat
We have rebuilt the floor did some upholstery repair and new carpet and got the engine running great ,all with a lot of advice and reading from this forum. Everything was going swell after taking it up to the lake for a test and all went well until just a little while ago. We disconnected the batteries (dual) and finished the carpet and new battery trays. We played the stereo while we worked and installed the seats etc. My son was happy with our progress and beeped the horn for fun.

It shut the boat down completely... no power to dash, stereo etc I know very little about electrical and am in need of some help. I did a search and have checked the fuses for the stereo and dash and they look fine but I am out of my element.
The boat is a 1993 Monterey 225 bow rider with a 570 DP Volvo.

We did put in a new fuel sending unit that had gone bad but that is the only thing we had done new as far as electrical.
It's late here butin the morning I plan on pulling off all the connections to the battery and cleaning them and get a good ground as a starting point.
Any help would be great as we were scheduled to go to Lake Powell this Sunday but not until this gets sorted

Thanks

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey there!! :welcome:

Dang! Sorry to hear that...

The gurus will certainly be able to give you some MUCH better ideas, but until then....

I'm no pro and I use outboards, but it sounds like something in the horn circuit has a short.
When the horn was used, it shorted out and tripped a main circuit breaker or main fuse somewhere.
Probably not the same fuses as you checked for the stereo and dash.

I honestly don't know where that main breaker or fuse would be on your boat, but maybe it gives you an idea?? :noidea:

Anyway, the real pro's will help you for sure as soon as they see your post. I have no doubt..
Just offering some basic thoughts.... :)

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, the horn has an issue and probably blew the 20 amp fuse. Look under the helm for an inline fuse holder.

VP wiring Panel and parts.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
also look at corrosion on the main cable connector

DockDog

Recruit
Thanks for the help and responses so far. I have not been able to locate that inline fuse from the drawing.
But I can barely type so it's not unusual.. I see the inline for our stereo 15A it the newer fork style. I should be looking for the small twist canister type like in the drawing?

thanks again

alldodge

Staff member
I should be looking for the small twist canister type like in the drawing?

In most cases but not all. It might even be in the fuse block, don't know what motor or year so just posted the regular, Go from the key and find the Red/Purple wire then trace back to the fuse

DockDog

Recruit
We just bypassed everything and connected an new power lead to the ignition switch and everything is powered and working. From the battery to the starter and the 40 breaker is power but somewhere passed that in the harness or dash area is where it loses it.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Bondo

Staff member
From the battery to the starter and the 40 breaker is power but somewhere passed that in the harness or dash area is where it loses it.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Did ya take a peek at the big cannon plug, where the motor;s wirin' harness, connects to the boat's wirin' harness,..??