nothing with switch

reedbw

Recruit
Looking for help with a 1987 Mercruiser 2.5 L. Turn the key and nothing. I have power to the switch, and I get a volt reading on the Solenoid wire when the key is turned to start, but no power on the small terminal with the same wire on the solenoid. I can jump the starter to get it to turn over. Is this a harness or solenoid issue, or maybe the switch somehow? Thanks.

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you are getting power to the small wire from the start switch, when you turn the switch to start, but the solinoid does not kick in then you either have a bad solinoid, or the ground wire ( negative) from the solinoid to ground is broken.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Start by cleaning all the battery cable connections

Being a 1987, make sure you service the points too

Bondo

Staff member
I have power to the switch, and I get a volt reading on the Solenoid wire when the key is turned to start, but no power on the small terminal with the same wire on the solenoid.

Ayuh,.....Welcome Aboard,..... The yellow/ red wire at the key switch, the start circuit, runs from the key switch, through the control's neutral safety switch, through the cannon plug on the motor, to the slave solenoid, to the starter's excite terminal,.....

The way I read yer post, yer loosin' connection at the safety switch, or at the cannon plug,....

reedbw

Recruit
so we jumped the solenoid from the battery and it turned over. switch seemd to be working fine. ran a tempory new wire from switch to solenoid and it turned over. must be something in the wire, although i had conitnuity through the wire. could there be an inline fues in the yellow wire going from the switch to the solenoid? or can i just run a new wire and call it good?

reedbw

Recruit
Bondo:

how can i check the saftey switch? is there a way to bypass it to test it?

Bondo

Staff member
Bondo:

how can i check the saftey switch? is there a way to bypass it to test it?

Ayuh,..... It should be inside the control, a yellow/ red wire comes from the key switch, 'n goes to the slave solenoid,.....

The switch is a simple, make or break,.... Make in neutral, break in either gear,.....