Perko switch on Aluminum Boat

thakang67

Seaman
Hello to all, My question is where do I mount my Common ground stud for two batteries and my distribution panel?
Thanks for any suggestions!

alldodge

Staff member
I would suggest a battery buss bar, and keep the ground from making contact with the boat hull.

Bondo

Staff member
My question is where do I mount my Common ground stud for two batteries and my distribution panel?

Ayuh,.... The motor's block is the common ground,....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Last edited:

thakang67

Seaman
Okay thank you I will go buy a bus bar a install it. I would like to install it back where the motor is. Is it okay to mount it on the wood transom?

thakang67

Seaman
Bondo, so the way I understand what your saying is to run an sufficient cable to a ground on the block of the motor then to a bus bar mounted wherever then connect my batteries to the negative bus?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
YW. A buss bar can be mounted anywhere convenient. The mount screws/bolts are insulated from the wiring studs.

sam am I

Commander
Using the transom mounting bolts is the same as bolting the ground to the hull, a no-no in an aluminum boat.

His hull by default should already be grounded/bolted to batt neg through bonding wires. My stock Merc would ground my hull via two very specific factory bolted on bonding wires that intentionally bond/ground (batt neg) the transom mounting plate/bolts. If my hull was alum. that is........

However, running current through the hull or any metals that are grounded via bonding such as transom/mounting bolts, etc. as mentioned above (or even the bonding wire/s itself) is a no no.

See post #2, SilverTip is correct in his assertion

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-aluminum-hull

Last edited: