Please Help! 2003 Mercruiser ECU Issues

jcasemusic

Recruit
Ok I bought a boat that now looking back I shouldn't have but $11,000 later I have no choice but to fix. The last issue I had was an IAC which was causing a code and and keeping the boat in limp mode. This place that sells tons of parts all of the country knows a lot about these with the IAC issues and told me mechanic that sometimes they mess the ECU up. Well the IAC got really hot, even the new one and wouldn't adjust on the computer like the guy said that might and probably would happen. Apparently I have a rare ECU and I just don't know what to do. Does anyone on here reprogram these things or know someone who does. I also found that the wish bone thing on the back was over looked and was broken and i had to buy an all new out drive setup which cost me another couple thousand and I am desperate at this point and don't have the type of money to keep throwing at this thing. once again, PLEASE HELP LOL.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

From my first read I'm thinking you have the world renowned boat mechanic in name only. For an IAC to get hot you have something else going on and suggest you start by not taking the boat back to the guy.

Next tell us what year and engine serial number, along with what was the first problems that lead up to your current issue

jcasemusic

Recruit
Howdy

From my first read I'm thinking you have the world renowned boat mechanic in name only. For an IAC to get hot you have something else going on and suggest you start by not taking the boat back to the guy.

Next tell us what year and engine serial number, along with what was the first problems that lead up to your current issue

This guy is one of the best and has a perfect BBB Score and has people from different states come to see him. I was told by 10 different random people about him for a year before going to him. He has ALWAYS done me right so no need to attack him, I am asking for help about an ECU. Second I bout the boat like that, he has had others with similar issues and fixed them but this one was apparently ONLY made in 2003 and thus he has never had to deal with the particular issue. It was getting hot, the old one that is from the beginning, he then called a parts guy who is very well know and respected and he said he HAS seen that exact problem before with those several times and its an issue with he IAC messes up the ECU. I am looking for help I am hoping this is that type of forum but I just find another if this is gonna be a flame fest. If u wanna help great but lets please keep it about the issue at hand not your opinion on someone u know nothing about. Thanks

jcasemusic

Recruit
Sorry to have bothered you, hope someone will help.

Not about bothering me but it wasn't a helpful post either. I am already extremely frustrated by this fact and he is doing everything he can to help me out its just outta his hands. Just without knowing him its hard to say he not worthy when this was going on before he touched it. Just looking for someone who can reprogram as the guy he used to use knew a guy that did do it but has since retired and is no longer available.

Fun Times

Staff member
The last issue I had was an IAC. This place that sells tons of parts all of the country knows a lot about these with the IAC issues and told my mechanic that sometimes they mess the ECU up.
Hi there jcasemusic, welcome to iboats. Just as an quick fyi... Please know that It's often mentioned by a high quantity of members on forums such as these that if someone such as a service repair shop or service tech seems to have become quickly perceived as a possible bad match for your situation at hand, it's often suggested (or advisable) to go ahead and try someone else where/if possible.
With what was written above, and knowing AllDodge posting meanings, I could honestly foresee where AllDodge meant to try and lead you with his reasoning's of exploring someone new.....The important part is that you know him, like him and he is trying to help even if he hasn't had a bunch of experience with this exact mystery issue that you are experiencing at the moment...And he has the ability to reach out to others that may be able to help guide him through this together which may include your help as well. :eagerness:

So let's go-ahead and leave the above behind us now please and lets see if maybe we can be of any help or assistance to you in someway too... In order to do that we really do need your engine info such as engine model and typically a engine serial number tends to help out a few of iboats members even more to possibly help you out even better.

Well the IAC got really hot, even the new one and wouldn't adjust on the computer like the guy said that might and probably would happen. Apparently I have a rare ECU and I just don't know what to do. Does anyone on here reprogram these things or know someone who does. I also found that the wish bone thing on the back was over looked and was broken and I had to buy an all new out drive setup which cost me another couple thousand and I am desperate at this point and don't have the type of money to keep throwing at this thing. once again, PLEASE HELP LOL.
Being that the IAC motor system is of a 12 volt design vs the other sensors that uses a 5 volt system coming from the PCM, the IAC system is very capable of getting hot and on some engine models has been known in the past to create a small fire if not caught in time. Usually both the IAC and wire harness plug will start to melt which also in some cases will lead to the IAC driver inside the ECM/PCM to get burned/damaged which depending on how bad the damage is internally, the PCM might need to be replaced but there is now a company out there that now has the ability to diagnose and possibly repair PCM's that have a damaged IAC driver that is as long as you have the Mercruiser 555 design PCM.

If so, the last price I heard was 100.00 to inspect/diagnose and if it's repairable, it's 500.00. https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=73

What area do you (the boat) reside in?

jcasemusic

Recruit
No Title

Nashville TN and here are some photos. If I need more let me know and i will take what I need too.

Attachments

• photo251538.jpg
    photo251538.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251540.jpg
    photo251540.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251541.jpg
    photo251541.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251542.jpg
    photo251542.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251543.jpg
    photo251543.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0

jcasemusic

Recruit
Hi there jcasemusic, welcome to iboats. Just as an quick fyi... Please know that It's often mentioned by a high quantity of members on forums such as these that if someone such as a service repair shop or service tech seems to have become quickly perceived as a possible bad match for your situation at hand, it's often suggested (or advisable) to go ahead and try someone else where/if possible.
With what was written above, and knowing AllDodge posting meanings, I could honestly foresee where AllDodge meant to try and lead you with his reasoning's of exploring someone new.....The important part is that you know him, like him and he is trying to help even if he hasn't had a bunch of experience with this exact mystery issue that you are experiencing at the moment...And he has the ability to reach out to others that may be able to help guide him through this together which may include your help as well. :eagerness:

So let's go-ahead and leave the above behind us now please and lets see if maybe we can be of any help or assistance to you in someway too... In order to do that we really do need your engine info such as engine model and typically a engine serial number tends to help out a few of iboats members even more to possibly help you out even better.

Being that the IAC motor system is of a 12 volt design vs the other sensors that uses a 5 volt system coming from the PCM, the IAC system is very capable of getting hot and on some engine models has been known in the past to create a small fire if not caught in time. Usually both the IAC and wire harness plug will start to melt which also in some cases will lead to the IAC driver inside the ECM/PCM to get burned/damaged which depending on how bad the damage is internally, the PCM might need to be replaced but there is now a company out there that now has the ability to diagnose and possibly repair PCM's that have a damaged IAC driver that is as long as you have the Mercruiser 555 design PCM.

If so, the last price I heard was 100.00 to inspect/diagnose and if it's repairable, it's 500.00. https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=73

What area do you (the boat) reside in?

Hey and thanks by the way. I called them and a guy named Jeff said he has seen these issues all the time. Most are the bigger computer as mine is kinda rare in a sense but that its pretty much the same inside as the others and has fixed the issues I am talking about all the time. Say a prayer for me. And Thanks again!!!!