Motorguide parts

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need a new top and bottom cap for an older Motorguide Tracker 40 trolling motor. They seem to be obsolete everywhere I've looked and there is no serial numbers on this thing anywhere. I'm wondering if I can get a newer top and bottom cap and fit it all together to make it work. Anyone have experience with something like this? It's a fantastic trolling motor and I'd sure hate to have to trash it because of a bad boat launch...

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe i am missing something but do a google search for "motorguide tracker 40 trolling motor parts" ( dont use the quotes)

Mod EDIT: iboats competitor removed

From there select the tracker series ( only tracker there ) then select the highlighted serial number range. Now select "Complete Trolling Motor " what ever model you have or browse them all for what looks like your motor. The top and bottom cover seem to be available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yea, those drawings suck really bad for comparison & I don't have a serial number. Everything for the older models is obsolete anyway so I guess I'm going to have to wing it and either design something myself or get the newer parts and modify them to fit.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea, those drawings suck really bad for comparison & I don't have a serial number. Everything for the older models is obsolete anyway so I guess I'm going to have to wing it and either design something myself or get the newer parts and modify them to fit.

Exactly what parts are you looking for? Do you have any pictures of your trolling motor you can post? Are you talking about the top and bottom caps as pertaining to the head section? :noidea:

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is the one I have. I need the top cap, the bottom cap, rail guide and rail guide top.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Chadomosis, Have you checked out

Mod EDIT: Same competitor removed as above

and searched through all the Tracker series? And I can't say for certain, but seems the top cover and bottom section mate together to become a head unit. And since they merely attach with some screws unto the motor shaft, you could buy both parts and have a new head unit. Just a suggestion. There are other trolling motor repair sites on the net and maybe you could contact one of them and show them what you need. If couldn't hurt.

Interestingly enough, I am presently repairing an old Motor Guide III trolling motor myself. It is just about ready. I replace the worn out bearings, seals, sleeves, wiring and cleaned up everything and refinished the entire trolling motor. It looks new to be such an older trolling motor. And it runs perfect now as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yea, I really want to fix that thing! It's been a very good trolling motor for a lot of years! You can imagine the disappointment in myself when I accidentally smashed it into the dock... A bad day on the water is better than any day at work I suppose, but dammit! I went through all of the different models on a couple different sites and have came to the conclusion that I'll buy the parts for the oldest model that are still available and fit them up. If it all goes south, I'll only be out a whopping $35. Worst case scenario, I'll do some cnc work and make my own. It won't look really pretty, but honestly, I just need it to work.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea, I really want to fix that thing! It's been a very good trolling motor for a lot of years! You can imagine the disappointment in myself when I accidentally smashed it into the dock... A bad day on the water is better than any day at work I suppose, but dammit! I went through all of the different models on a couple different sites and have came to the conclusion that I'll buy the parts for the oldest model that are still available and fit them up. If it all goes south, I'll only be out a whopping $35. Worst case scenario, I'll do some cnc work and make my own. It won't look really pretty, but honestly, I just need it to work.

I got a really stupid idea, as most of mine are, if your top cover is even remotely looking like it should, why not make a mold and make a fiberglass copy. Same with the bottom section as well. I have no idea how bad it is damaged, but maybe that could work. :noidea:

fishrdan

Admiral
Search the internet for MotorGuide parts to dig up a supplier for the covers (Mods are editing out the places so I'm not going to attempt posting...)

If you're lucky, one of the places will have them or can order them for you. I bought a new set of covers for my Powerdrive from fish307 for $30-40, top, bottom, indicator and side panels - smoking deal to make sun rotted plastic look new. Took them a week or two to get them to me as they had to order them MK, then ship to me. Of course, this isn't going to do you any good as they don't carry MG parts....

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I like that idea GM280! Brilliant! The bottom cover is pretty smashed up and I couldn't find one of the chunks, but I could wing it and make it work. Unfortunately, Every site that I've found, shows the parts as obsolete.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like that idea GM280! Brilliant! The bottom cover is pretty smashed up and I couldn't find one of the chunks, but I could wing it and make it work. Unfortunately, Every site that I've found, shows the parts as obsolete.

Ha Chadomosis, if you do make a fiberglass copy, you have to post procedure pictures on here for others to see how to do it. And remember, no pictures, it didn't happen. :noidea:

fishrdan

Admiral
Obsolete eh, Bummer...

Have you tried Ebay? I searched "motorguide cover" and a bunch of them popped up. Might be worth lurking there for a couple weeks to see if anything pops up. I have found some obscure things doing that.

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The fiberglass is gonna work. Good idea gm280! I've got the shell glassed up and mixed up some shredded chop strand to fill in a section in the bottom cover to mount the rail guide to. Just gotta shape it up, fit it up and give a quick paint job!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The fiberglass is gonna work. Good idea gm280! I've got the shell glassed up and mixed up some shredded chop strand to fill in a section in the bottom cover to mount the rail guide to. Just gotta shape it up, fit it up and give a quick paint job!

Good news. You have to post pictures or is didn't happen. But I am glad you are working it out finally. :thumb:

I will say after seeing the bottom portion, I could make that look like new myself. I've done it before with another TM.

Last edited:

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I'm somewhat of a rookie with the fiberglass, but this is a good learning experience for when I tackle my big project...

Attachments

• photo251073.jpeg
    photo251073.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251074.jpeg
    photo251074.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251075.jpeg
    photo251075.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251076.jpeg
    photo251076.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm somewhat of a rookie with the fiberglass, but this is a good learning experience for when I tackle my big project...

Sanding and touch up is all that is left to do. And depending how much work you want to put into it, it can look perfect as well. :thumb:

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That's a few layers there and on the bottom cover, I built it up to accept the screws for the rail guide. Had to grind it back a touch with a dremel tool, but it's gonna work perfectly. Might even have to paint some flames on it or something...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's a few layers there and on the bottom cover, I built it up to accept the screws for the rail guide. Had to grind it back a touch with a dremel tool, but it's gonna work perfectly. Might even have to paint some flames on it or something...

Ha, go for it. But post pictures as well. I am glad this is working out for you. Seems if you look hard enough, there seems to always be a way to fix problems. :thumb: